First Bird Strike in N.I.

mike150

Hi all.

Went to a local farm today for my first rough shoot and got my first Pigeon, 1 Wood Pigeon and 1 Crow. Just walked around for an hour and a half and saw what came my way which wasn't much! I don't have decoys.

Felt a bit bad about the Woody as it's only a small bird, I thought it was a Pigeon as it was coming out of the sun.

17 shots fired and 3 hits :hmm: .............think I need to keep practising at the clays. I take it that's bad?

It was just as good as the clays for £5. In the same time at a clay ground I would spend £40 :blink:

Hi all.

Went to a local farm today for my first rough shoot and got my first Pigeon, 1 Wood Pigeon and 1 Crow. Just walked around for an hour and a half and saw what came my way which wasn't much! I don't have decoys.

Felt a bit bad about the Woody as it's only a small bird, I thought it was a Pigeon as it was coming out of the sun.17 shots fired and 3 hits :hmm: .............think I need to keep practising at the clays. I take it that's bad?

It was just as good as the clays for £5. In the same time at a clay ground I would spend £40 :blink:

is a 'woody' not a woodpigeon where you come from?

'i thought it was...' wouldnt hold up to well in court if it had been a spuggyhawk :/

17shots..3 hits

that sounds like my mate who has been shooting along time

maybe a bad gunfit, maybe just on an off day

live animals run/fly nothing like clays

hello mike150, unlike the rest of the barack room lawyers on here <_< , i would like to say welcome and good one mate :good: we all have to start somewhere and i am sure you will improve with practise and time. dont feel bad about small birds as they all eat the crops and that is why we are doing what we do. crop protection :good: well done mate , keep it up my friend . kev

hope your not referring to me

the place to start is with someone who knows what they are doing

not going out and shooting willy nilly at birds out of range and injuring them

i agreee, small bird or not, doesnt matter, they still damage crops

but why shoot at sumat you think is too far, you are more likely to miss than injure, but why take a risk

'be comfortable and confident before you pull the trigger'

sorry if some think this is wrong, just my view

Edited by TJ91

hello mike150, unlike the rest of the barack room lawyers on here <_< , i would like to say welcome and good one mate :good: we all have to start somewhere and i am sure you will improve with practise and time. dont feel bad about small birds as they all eat the crops and that is why we are doing what we do. crop protection :good: well done mate , keep it up my friend . kev

Thanks man.

I'm at the shooting a year now, it's a nice civilised sport and a vast change from my previous sport of motocross and more befitting of my middle aged years :lol:

BTW I'm using 32g 5's and a Benelli M2 for the rough shooting.