Shooting help on cabbage & turnip?

jake202

ok so i went out today, at about 2pm as i turned up i saw about 70 - 80 pigeons fly off from the spot the wind was blowing extremely hard 20-25 mph maby? after about 2 1/2, 3 hours nothing.. il try to attach a picture of where the flight lines are and where the hide is setup etc. never really had any great success on this permission but everytime i go out there i see about 60-100 pigeons and as soon as im in the hide they are gone for good.

19315530.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kind of weird the hide is between two pylons and they seem to fly down the center of them, i suppose its a ideal visual marker for them?

but just cant seem to get on them!

im quite new to pigeon shooting so any advice is greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance jake

Edited by jake202

if they are feeding there before you turn up, but not returning once your there, Id say they are seeing you, are you keeping down until the come in, or bobbing about looking over top of hide?

what deeks are you using?

if a magnet, are they shying away from that?

maybe try getting there before sun up, and see if the come down to feed at dawn

if they are feeding there before you turn up, but not returning once your there, Id say they are seeing you, are you keeping down until the come in, or bobbing about looking over top of hide?

what deeks are you using?

if a magnet, are they shying away from that?

maybe try getting there before sun up, and see if the come down to feed at dawn

:good:

well im using a hypaflap magnet and about 13 half shells some on springs some not, its not as if they are even coming back in ones and twos they are literally gone for good, i think going out there early morning and reccying the day before could be the way forward here.

thanks for all the help guys!

:good:

chances are jake that you have the same problem as me :angry: . i can go every morning and see birds on the fields :hmm: . as soon as i set up they are off to their next best field <_< there is just too much food for them and they are spoilt for choice. one bang and they are gone :blush: (bit like me) . just keep trying mate :good:

I'd bet it's just this time of year - Ive the same problem over the farms I shoot - mainly rape, but 1000's acres - Ive tried the lot, massive patterns of decoys, flight lines, magnets etc - after 2/3 shots they are come for the day - they aint stupid!

Now Ive taken to going down at the end of the day and shooting the fat pigeons as they lumber into roost after a day's stuffing themselves!!

I think where your hide is ,is fine but for me at this time of year its better if you get to your spot before sun up to get them coming as all to often you get there and push them off to somewhere else for the day .

As for the 410 i had 1 for pigeon shooting for a while i soon got rid as its not really up to the job unless the birds really will come in and within 25yards at the max your stuffed :yes:

Good luck and let us know how you get on :good:

Ive had both 410 and 12 single barrel pedretti hushpower, no difference in noise between the two

using a single barrel on pigeons is very frustrating, as you can never re load fast enough, if your thinking that you'll be silent using a hushpower on the pigeons, YOU WONT, if you wanted to be silent, you'd be better off using a air rifle, or better still a rimfire, again Ive decoyed with a rimmy and had good bags

maybe you should look into the mossburg with a hushpower barrel and normal barrel, think once you get the pigeons coming in, in numbers, you'd ditch the hushpower barrel and use the ordinary one,

big difference between sub sonic fibre wad carts at £6 plus per box

and standard carts from £4 per box

just trying to stop you wasting money like I did when starting pigeon shooting, I too went for "silent" but have since sold the 12, and the 410 hasent been out of the cabinet in months, always take the hatsan semi