Newbie pigeon basher advice needed

Firestone

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone starting out there are many considerations but fags and coffee are a must :rolleyes:

Understand and master your fieldcraft this includes pigeon flightlines and the essential is building the right hide to blend in to your surroundings and not be seen. Sounds obvious but pigeons will shy if they see you. Get a cheap dark backnet or sheet - if the sun is on your back you do not want to silhouette or 'shine'. Your hide can dictate a good or bad day. Once you have built it walk out 30 yards or so and see how it blends. I sometimes, if on a grass bank, pull out some grass and stuff it in the netting for extra blend.

The right clothing for the day (trust me) with a decent pair of boots. I use GRUBBS Boots with the Vibrum sole and my feet are like toast!

Decoy patterns - well there are many theories and ideas in abundance on this forum or type into google pigeon decoy patterns for examples. Be prepared to change the pattern if pigeons are not coming in or if the wind changes. Pigeons land into the wind. Leave enough space for them to do so and your 'kill zone should be at the front of your hide.

Do not leave dead birds in the zone if they are belly up this spooks those coming in. Some even say excess feathers spook them but I have not experienced this.

Once you have a few dead birds replace or add to decoy pattern (Can't beat the real thing)!