food decoys???

unapalomablanca

There are differences in how you can take various species.

Read the General Licence issued by Natural England. Click Here

I am familiar with the GLs. Both corvids and woodpigeon are both in group 2(i) a. Ignoring permitted birds for decoy traps, and lamping for ferrals, there are no differences in the methods allowed.

The General Licence is infact quite specific of when and how a wood pigeon can be shot.

This is when protection of crops is required and after the shooter is satisfied other methods of LEGAL control have been inaffective.

In effect one would be attracting birds to a field by baiting and thus jeopardising the crop (if indeed there was one) Almost akin to deliberately putting slugs into the greenhouse.

This may well not be technically illegal under the general licence but certainly would be under the Wildlife and Countryside act as one would effectively be shooting a wild bird which is not intent on crop destruction and not classed as vermin in the context of such.

In such situations outside of being shot for crop protection the Woodpigeon is afforded the same protection under the Wildlife and countryside act as any other wild bird species.

Until we realise that we should be shooting under the terms of the General Licence and stop shooting pigeons just for the bloody sake of it by trying to decoy them into areas where they wouldnt normally forage, Pigeon shooting days will be numbered.

Suggestions of trying to Bait birds to the gun is potentially more damaging to the future continuance of Pigeon shooting than an anti stood up in Parliament waving a dead pigeon.

Try and tip a load of wheat on feild for the sole purpose of shooting birds and see what happens when the words get round the anti brigade. By doing such would be treading on very thin ice indeed and almost certainly lead to the prosecution of shooter and land owner with a word or two in the right ear.

Sadly, and this IS the sad part... the countryside seems proliferate these days by people who have very little regard for etiquet, protocol or the law, have incredulously somehow managed to persuade HM Constabulary to issue them with a Shotgun licence and they just want to blast 7 bales of shti out of anything that moves without any thought of the consequences. Two or three months later and their guns are inavariably for sale when they realise it aint quite like that and they have got bored with it. :yes:

In answer to the original question yes it would work but whats the point unless you just have a hankering desire to shoot wood pigeon just for the sake of it, and its this which would determine whether you were acting illegally or not.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Whilst I largely agree with Mike's comments it has to be said that tipping a load of wheat in a field and shooting pigeons attracted to it isn't much different from placing a thousand pheasant poults in a wood,feeding them and then blattin' the hell out of them every other Saturday. Let's not get too emotional and keep things in context.

Whilst I largely agree with Mike's comments it has to be said that tipping a load of wheat in a field and shooting pigeons attracted to it isn't much different from placing a thousand pheasant poults in a wood,feeding them and then blattin' the hell out of them every other Saturday. Let's not get too emotional and keep things in context.

With respect there is a big difference...

Pheasants are bred to be shot as game, legally. They are not an indigenous bird species to this country.

Ok, as no one could offer anything useful as to why it might be legal to bait corvids but not woodpigeon I contacted Natural England wildlife management unit who issue the licenses.

Finally got an answer back from them today.

In short, under GL04, it is legal to use food to bait any bird in circumstances where it would be legal to use a decoy bird.

All arguments about trying non-lethal methods, attracting birds to an area they weren't actually feeding on etc etc all still apply but are not relevent to the specific question of using food bait.

If it is legal to use a decoy in any situation then it is also legal to use food bait in the same situation.

Before anyone kicks off, just remember the following:

It wasn't me who asked the original question about food baiting and I have never done it and have no desire or intention to do it.

I just wanted to understand exactly what the legislation is regarding this situation.

So I am right in thinking then that you can bait woodies so long as there causing damage to said crop already you could not bait feed a fallow field or stubble.Cheers OTH

That is the same argument as when using decoys - is it within the terms of the GL to shoot stubbles, roost shoot etc?

As far as the GL is concerned there is no difference between food or artificial decoys. First you have to ensure they are causing damage, then be satisfied that non lethal methods wouldn't work and then it is lawful to kill them. Shooting, trapping, food bait, artificial decoys - makes no difference once you have established that is within the terms to take them.

As far as the GL is concerned - "sporting" doesn't come in to it.

I think this is a controversial subject because many people like to think of the woodpigeon as a sporting bird rather than a pest. It becomes messy when some then post about what they think the law should be rather than finding out with an open mind what it actually is.

Cheers HW682

Edited to re-word slightly.

Edited by HW682

With respect there is a big difference...

Pheasants are bred to be shot as game, legally. They are not an indigenous bird species to this country.

There is no difference as far as the anti-shooting lobby are concerned, and that was the angle of your comments about whether it was ethical to shoot baited wood pigeons.

There is no difference as far as the anti-shooting lobby are concerned, and that was the angle of your comments about whether it was ethical to shoot baited wood pigeons.

Point taken. Ultimately whether its technically legal or not, methinks that if we ever got to the stage where we have degenerated within our own factions sufficiently to carryout baiting to attract woodpigeon to the gun just to improve our bags, we would have passed the point of no return and be deserving of criticism from those who are anti field sports and the associated animal welfare organisations. I will have hung up my guns long before this happens. :/

Point taken. Ultimately whether its technically legal or not, methinks that if we ever got to the stage where we have degenerated within our own factions sufficiently to carryout baiting to attract woodpigeon to the gun just to improve our bags, we would have passed the point of no return and be deserving of criticism from those who are anti field sports and the associated animal welfare organisations. I will have hung up my guns long before this happens. :/

Amen.

Amen.

So, i have noticed a poor season for most so far with very small bags. I wonder who has got 'food decoying' in their minds. I reckon it could be

the next big thing. ****** this standing round all day having the mickey taken. Food decoy in the winter and in the summer just revert to normal

procedure. I spoke to a farmer and he said its no different to bird decoying as long as you get rid of pigeons as that is the name of the game. My farmer is losing mountains of rape and i cant help him as i cant get a look in. I end up just looking for flightlines. If it is against the rules then im just gonna go back to clay in the winter and look forward to the harvest each year.

So, i have noticed a poor season for most so far with very small bags. I wonder who has got 'food decoying' in their minds. I reckon it could be

the next big thing. ****** this standing round all day having the mickey taken. Food decoy in the winter and in the summer just revert to normal

procedure. I spoke to a farmer and he said its no different to bird decoying as long as you get rid of pigeons as that is the name of the game. My farmer is losing mountains of rape and i cant help him as i cant get a look in. I end up just looking for flightlines. If it is against the rules then im just gonna go back to clay in the winter and look forward to the harvest each year.

But whos going to pay for the wheat etc you would need a good two tonnes broadcasted over a field it would then probley become a volly in the crop the farmer is growing which inturn would cost to spray it out.

Its sound a nice plan but the cost time and the ethics down stand unless your going foot the bill of the twon tonnes of wheat which is today £348 per tonne :hmm:

Cheers OTH