First experience with the hushpower Vs. Pigeons

jake202

shooting on my main permission has been a nightmare recently going out with the 12 bore just wasn't working i would turn up there would be 70-80

birds on the fields and as soon as they hear that loud crack... they are gone for the day so after reading all the reviews online about Hushpower guns i decided to purchase a .410 Mossberg. A few days passed

having been told that Lyalvale 2 1/2 inch carts are the way to go i popped to my local gun shop to find

they only stock Eley... so ended up getting 2 boxes of 3" magnums, the previous owner had given me some 2 1/2 inch carts anyway, now ive never shot a .410 before, so going out i didnt really know what to expect....

img20110130080116.jpg

so i turn up with the rotary and 12 half shells in the hide before light everything setup and within 20 minutes

they were coming in to the rotary using a very tight horse shoe decoy pattern just 1's and 2's. i was letting them come within about 20 or so

yards and the first two shots i knocked both down with 3" magnums.

i wouldnt say noisy at all about as quiet as a air rifle i was told 3" are way to loud i found the noise very acceptable. I missed the next

single so decided to try the 2 1/2's when the first shot went off i couldnt believe the noise u can literally hear the firing pin hit the

cartridge it was so quiet but it just didnt feel right so i switched back to the 3" magnums and again knocked a few more down at a comfortable range.

img20110130113359.jpg

img20110130123252.jpg

I had a shot at a pigeon at about 37 yards out and it dropped very well which i was rather impressed on the cartridge side ive heard that the

pattern is lost beyond 25 yards :no: in all the bag totaled 8,

20110130110322.jpg

for a few hours i had some very good sport i think a few more times out and i should hopefully bag more :D .

i did miss a few to be fair but the gun definitely showed me its very capable in the hide for pigeons and its got a very nice swing to it aswell i just cant wait to get out and use it again! :good:

img20110130102847.jpg

I know its a a bit long and drawn out but i hope you enjoy the read :blush:

Jake :good:

Edited by jake202

I have heard good results from this method if your a sole shooter in a area with masses of uncovered OSR its a great way to bag birds,

Masses of OSR round swindon only down the road from you which side of swindon our you shooting.

Cheers OTH

out over neer the west Swindon side.

jake :good:

Edited by jake202

Id steer well clear of the lyavale carts, Im sure they are plastic wads, which are a no go in hushpowers, unless you check the barrel after each shot, as the plastic can get stuck in the barrel holes, causing a big bang on the following shot :no:

also, try eley sub sonics, they are even quitier as they are made for hushpowers

also, although you'vre had success with the gun, looking at your pictures, your using a camo'd tarpulin, meaning your looking over the top all the time, even with your camo gear on, pigeons will see you a mile away, far better to fix a net along the top 12" so you can sit and look through,

Id steer well clear of the lyavale carts, Im sure they are plastic wads, which are a no go in hushpowers, unless you check the barrel after each shot, as the plastic can get stuck in the barrel holes, causing a big bang on the following shot :no: :

also, try eley sub sonics, they are even quitier as they are made for hushpowers

also, although you'vre had success with the gun, looking at your pictures, your using a camo'd tarpulin, meaning your looking over the top all the time, even with your camo gear on, pigeons will see you a mile away, far better to fix a net along the top 12" so you can sit and look through,

Yeah the problem would be getting a net big enough I think the hide is quite large. the hide was also built by the farmer who to be fair done quite a good job on the photos u can't really see but on the side they are normally coming in from is more built up but you can still see through the slats in the pallets!

Jake :D