GWP stud dog

al4x

Don't get me wrong i know little of your bitch, likewise you of mine. He (my dog) has done a good hard season of true wildfowling also a fair bit of general shooting performing maybee 1000 retrieves, has done fox now and was actually uninterested in them till the penny dropped then his eyes turned all red and the horns popped out of his head one day :blink: as well as Deer work. However and it is a big however he is not a Lab and no GWP will ever be they hunt ground quick fast and wide and Labs don't they wait at heel & retrieve, ok i know labs can be made to hunt some but to compare to a GWP hunting is farsicle. In actuall fact if you were talking working test dummy retrieves or indeed dead game to hand signals i recon my dog could more than hack it against the best labs. YET watching him hold back his desire to get out and hunt in the confines of a cold, wet muddy gutter for a few hours with thousands of geese within senting/ hearing distance makes you realise there is no such thing as a totally versitile gundog. As a pet dog like i say totally useless this is the reason i am seeking a second "different type" of dog. No matter if it was a Bryantscroft, even the man himself said directly to me don't expect a GWP to be a Lab - just get a lab

My thoughts are more that the breeds std of work and conformation should not be altered too much otherwise as a puppy purchaser you might as well not seek a GWP at all and you might as well mate your bitch to another breed to create the hybrid gundog that suits you maybee?

Nastyness is not acceptable to the Germans either by the way but high energy hunting bred dogs without an outlet are always going to be a problem in any breed, i cannot do much with mine other than work him . In actual fact your comments about you bitch in the truck amuze me as mine sees the back of the Car like most pet dogs see the fireside and will happilly spend the entire day in the motor rather than the kennel if i let him (i think he sees it as his chill out time) as there are constantly gamebirds, rabbits and hares within sight and scent of his kennel

Edited by kent