larson trap

i am going to attempt making two larson traps,and im looking for some tips please.allso tips on using them,we have plenty of maggies on and around farm.i was thinking of putting traps out about 100 yards apart,with paunched bunnies in shooting range and waiting.i will take shot gun.and rimfire.please tell me if this is ok or if you have a better idea ill appriecate it.cheers :)

Wol,

You don't need to take a gun if you're trapping them - that's the whole idea of using a trap, it works for you whilst you are doing other things.

My advice is to stay well away from the traps once set, as you will only frighten the birds away.

Bait the traps with a dead rabbit or broken eggs to catch your first bird, which you should keep as a call bird.

Don't start trapping until the end of March as it's too cold and your bird will die overnight, also if you have two traps, there's no benefit in keeping them close together, work opposite ends of your patch, and move the traps every 2 or 3 days.

You must also check the traps and provide food and water for the call bird, by law.

Good luck, keep us posted how you get on.

Cat.

Wol,

You don't need to take a gun if you're trapping them - that's the whole idea of using a trap, it works for you whilst you are doing other things.

My advice is to stay well away from the traps once set, as you will only frighten the birds away.

Bait the traps with a dead rabbit or broken eggs to catch your first bird, which you should keep as a call bird.

Don't start trapping until the end of March as it's too cold and your bird will die overnight, also if you have two traps, there's no benefit in keeping them close together, work opposite ends of your patch, and move the traps every 2 or 3 days.

You must also check the traps and provide food and water for the call bird, by law.

Good luck, keep us posted how you get on.

Cat.

cheers :)