How to store a semi??

rayo

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me the best way to store a winchester 140 semi auto

The fact being that its only use it a few times a year so its standing in the gun cabinet a long time before its used as i mainly shoot with an o/u

Should i put a snap cap in ?

Do i leave the breach open or closed?

Cheers

Ray

:)

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me the best way to store a winchester 140 semi auto

The fact being that its only use it a few times a year so its standing in the gun cabinet a long time before its used as i mainly shoot with an o/u

Should i put a snap cap in ?

Do i leave the breach open or closed?

Cheers

Ray

:)

hi rayo. do you mean the 1400? i had one for many years in australia until the semi auto ban. i always left it closed without the cap ion it and never had a problem.the only cleaning it ever got was a wipe down with a cloth sprayed with wd40 and a quick spray in the chamber now and again.

• 1 month later...

The recoil spring in all semi autos is vital to the guns functionability - in a new gun its advisable to leave the bolt locked back in the safe for a month or so just to help initial cycling issues, however after a month or so leave the bolt closed as this simply wears down the tensile strength of the spring quicker and hence it will need replacing sooner.

On a Browning Gold / Silver dont lock the bolt back for any significant time as this is the most sensitive semi with regards the recoil spring and they will stop working as soon as that spring gets worn, much earlier than other makes.

Edited by Mikey