Remingtoon 700 jammed cartridges

maddog546

This is the second Remington 700 I have had that has had the same problem.

After you have fired a round you cannot get them out with the ejector,you need to drop a pull through cable down the barrel nd give it tap it then falls ut easily.The first rifle was replaced after 6 months and the comment that there was a defect in the chamber,those cases would have a bulge part way down the case.

The second rifle has been ok for 18 months and is now doing the same thing but the distortion is on the neck of the case,I wouldnt mind if I never cleaned the gun,but this is a pain as I rely on this gun as a pest controller.I have tried different ammunition and they all seem to do the same,I was wondering if perhaps there is a bad batch and others have suffered the same.

I have put several hundred rounds throough this gun and thought the idea was that centre fires are suppose to shoot in not out,I have cleaned the gun with hoppes No9 bore cleaner to no avail,even leaving a soaked jag in the chamber,but can seem to overcome the problem.

I think its going to end up back at the importers.

Cheers Keith

Edited by maddog546

Do you use factory ammo or reload your own.

For you to have exactly the same problem on 2 different rifles I would say it's possibly something you are doing wrong

Have you taken it to a gunsmith to check out or someone else to see if they notice anything?

An if you tapping anything down the bore that's just asking for trouble, you could easily damage the lands an rifling etc

Strictly speaking the issue you have is with the extractor not the ejector. The ejector on a Remington bolt is a spring loaded pin in the bolt head. If you can't get the case out of the chamber then the extractor is the problem. A lot of people favour the Sako style extractor which uses a claw rather than the Remington extractor which is essentially a spring clip in the bolt head. The Sako style claw is more positive at extraction. From a safety standpoint however the Remington extractor is a lot better.

It seems unfortunate to have the same problem with two guns, but Remington quality control has been a bit hit and miss (excuse the pun) for a while now. I would take it back to the dealers and have GMK or whoever the importers are put it right. As you say the rifle is a tool. If it doesn't work then its no good to you. If positive extraction is an issue for you I would look at the Sako/Tikka or the Winchester 70 etc with the mauser style extractor.

As for cleaning your rifle with Hoppes no.9 personally i favour something which will get rid of copper fouling and I'm afraid Hoppes no.9 is useless for that. get yourself something like Butch's bore shine or if you can find it some Wipeout and get that barrel clean. I doubt this is contributing to the extraction issue but a fouled barrel wont help your shooting.