Braidwood Sporting Clays

grousemoor

Had a really good day at Braidwood sporting clays near Selkirk today. They have a massive range of targets there with 25-30 different sporting stands including high pheasants (they also have skeet, DTL, etc). Even though there were quite a few people there it didn't seem too busy and there weren't any queues. The staff and owners were very welcoming and hospitable, and the food was very good. Well worth the travel.

Yeah, Excellent ground! I went there just after Christmas and had a brilliant day with a group if mates.

The old guy in the club house told me off however for using 30 gram cartridges I had which needed using up!

Apparently they "only have planning permission for 28 grams". Dont know why planning permission would specify shot weight.

Still had a good shoot though!

Yeah, Excellent ground! I went there just after Christmas and had a brilliant day with a group if mates.

The old guy in the club house told me off however for using 30 gram cartridges I had which needed using up!

Apparently they "only have planning permission for 28 grams". Dont know why planning permission would specify shot weight.

Still had a good shoot though!

Because the shot travels further and could fall outside of their 'fallout area'. That's why almost every ground insist on it and usually have signed plastered everywhere saying so. It's not too much to ask, really, is it?

Because the shot travels further and could fall outside of their 'fallout area'. That's why almost every ground insist on it and usually have signed plastered everywhere saying so. It's not too much to ask, really, is it?

If you can explain exactly how 28 grams of no.7 shot has a shorter range than 30 grams of no.7 shot then im all ears.

As for the reality of the situation I think you'll find a like for like comparison between 2 identical cartridges, one 28 gram one 30 gram, is that the 28 gram has a higher muzzle velocity and therefore a greater maximum range.

Fair enough 28 grams for comps, I wasnt in a comp however.

I don't know the science, but I'm sure someone nerdier will be along shortly who does.

Competition or not, if they don't want you using them then don't use them. Why exactly did your 30g need using up? I didn't know they had expiry dates on them now...

The science is quite simple. My mate was using Gamebore Black Gold 28 gram No.6.5 at a quoted 1500 fps. I was using 30 gram Hull High Pheasant NO.7 at approx 1400 fps. The black gold WILL have a longer range.

I was using up the 30 grams as I dont think they kill well at range and January pheasants are usually at range. I like 32 grams no.5 for January.