New Springer

JohnnyB

Yesterday I got my new springer pup Billy to train hopefully as a gundog. I have never trained a dog for the field before and wanted to ask for advice on where to start. Billy is 12 weeks old and is just a bag of beans, a real bundle of fun and life.

What is the best age to start teaching him the basics such as sit, drop, stay etc. At the minute I want him to settle in and get used to his new surroundings and family and he's so excited he doesn't hear anything you say anyway.

Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

JB

Thanks. From what I have heard springers can be difficult but extremely rewarding. I feel he's too young yet to do anything serious with. It's all playtime but if I can should i squeeze in a little very basic stuff ?

You should be teaching him the basics now mate e.g. sit/stay etc. Wait until he's 6 months odd to start anything more serious. :good:

hello

i had a springer once he was a jem. well atleast i thought he was.i sort of rushed him into everthing one week i would walk him heel and next week a would get him to sit next week dummys.i was taking advice of evey book, dvd, dogmen, every tom, ****, and harry, and then it began the 1st day i took him shooting i thought he was ready. i let him of the lead he cornerd a pheasent the pheasent lifted he ran 10 feilds to catch this pheasent.it spoild my day i was gutted. it wasnt the dogs fault he finaly came back i put him in the car we drove home. i was gutted nothing went right.so then i got my thinking hat on i new the best dog man going. but he never ever helped anyone. i went to se him for help his excact words was p.iss off. so then i phoned him followed him spyed on him i torcherd him. good job i new him lol.anyway he gave in and helped me. his 1st words was NEVER RUSH ANYTHING AND KEEP IT SIMPLE. YOU HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD. HE WILL GET IT RIGHT IN THE END. BUT YOU MUST NEVER RUSH HIM.THERE IS NO BOOK OR DVD CAN TRAIN YOUR DOG BUT YOURSELF CANGET TO KNOW HIS GOOD POINTS AND BAD POINTS AND USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGEBUT YOU MUST KEEP IT SIMPLE.so then i done as he said he bacame the best dog i had sadly hes gone now.now ive to little sprockers im on training them and they are becoming little gems.