shotgun reloading

Popped into Reloading Solutions in Oxford this morning to find out a bit about shotgun loading only to find they dont sell shotgun reloading stuff, just rifle stuff :no:

Did get a book "reloading for shotgunners" while I was there which has some good info. Mainly aimed at the US market and how many of the components mentioned in the recipes are available over here I dont know.

I understand most of the data ie for a 1oz 20g 2 3/4 inch cartridge, primer fedaral 209, powder blue dot (min 23grains/1220fps, max 25grains/1275fps, max pressure 10,300psi) with a remmington sp20 wad. Question is, this is for a fiocchi case, will the recipe change for a different case or will it just result in varying performance or even worse dangerously high pressures?

I am looking to re-use any 70mm cases I can get my hands on, so how do I know what case Hull or Eley or Gamebore use?

Also, all the recipes as far as I can tell are plastic wads and I would ideally like to reload fibre. From the bits I have read on here and other sites I dont think they are interchangeable or are they?

Cheers

Fuzrat

Fuzrat,

I've had a lot of help from here lately so i'll reply so save the real gurus from typing.

There are two types of case but usually, only parallel tube cases are found in Europe. They have a separate base, often a different colour. They have no internal taper. They are generally interchangeable from a loading point of view, but some makes crimp better and some last longer.

The second type are compression formed, made in a mould and are one piece. They have an internal taper, which seems to vary from brand to brand and are not necessarily interchangeable with other brands of CF cases. They are mainly used in the USA.

I'd love to know how to tell the case manufacturer from the brand but i'm not initiated to that sort of level and don't know the secret codeword or handshake :no: I'm still lower than a 'reloading wannabee' :yes:

I too have good reason to use fibre wads but you need to start from a fibre wad recipe and adjust the wad column height to within 1 mm. Plastic wads often have a compressible portion which allows them to be used without packers to take up room (or reorder another size). Less than 10% of formulas are for fibre wads. You generally need a bit more powder too, raising costs a little. All the while, worth persisting with. One particular pet hate is fibre wads formulas with a plastic obturator disc. Difficult to see and pick up and just perfect for causing a gut obstruction in my geese. Grrrr! :blush:

If you want fibre for green reasons, beware of claims of bio-degradable plastic as you waver in the face of limited formulas. They take forever to break down and from what I can tell go through a microscopic stage which can be easily taken in by living things. Next there'll be giant frogs and rats running all over the place...... :no:

Search this branch of the forum and you'll find plenty about suppliers and costs. :good:

JW

Cheers JW,

I thought that would be the case with fibre v plas recipes. I just hate to see plaswads littering up the countryside and even photo/biodegradeable wads take time to break down. Dont want to start another ruck about wether plaswads harm cows or sheep but I wouldnt want my cows eating them so I prefer not to let my farmers cows eat them either.

Just kind of feeling my way into reloading, I know im not gonna save much if anything on 12g but hopefully will offset some costs on my 20g (mum and dad both shoot 20's so have a captive market :lol: )

Its more I will be able to load what I want rather than what the manufacturers want to sell me :yes:

Edit to say, how many times can you reload the average case or is it fire once, reload then bin

Cheers

Fuzrat

Edited by fuzrat

001.jpg

The one on the right is a one piece compression formed Winchester case, quite rare to find now and to be avoided generally because they generate higher pressures for a given amount of powder. The recipes we use these days tend to be for the PT type.

The one on the left is a Cheddite type case which is pretty much the standard now. It has a seperate base wad shown here as translucent white but could be any colour.

Eley 12g cases seem to have oversized primer pockets and are best avoided too for that reason.

Use a case once then chuck it.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Thanks Sits :good:

just done a rough calculation using peter lawmans website and I rekon I can load 1000 carts for about 130 quid :good: 3kg shot 11.25, 1.5kg powder 50.85 (working on 20grains per cart) fibre wads 35.95 and primers 34.95. Thats on 28g carts, will have a some shot and powder left over too. Even less for 24gram 20g loads :good:

Fuzrat

If you find out how to load 1000 cartridges from 3kg of shot then you had best tell the rest of us. You will need 28kg of shot for 1000 28gr loads.

If you PM me an e mail address I will send you loads of 20 bore data