Two way radios

figgy

Is this Go OutdoorsCobra radio kit any good or is there better for the money. :good:

I would like to get a set of two way radios for communicating between two cars traveling to France and going round Paris towing caravans :blink: ,as mobile phone costs would be to expensive.

Is there any restrictions people know of regarding using these devices in France. :hmm:

Thanks in advance for any help.

ATB figgy

Figgy,

I'm assuming that the Cobra radios are 'PMR446' type? If so, this is a European standard and is generally 'license free' within the EU.

I was recently on a shooting trip with friends across France, Belgium and into Germany. We took along a pair of PMR446 radios and found them very useful on the journey - within obvious range limitations - about 2 miles.

Some people have the American equivalent FRS466 (466MHz as opposed to 446Mhz). They are illegal in the UK as they are on the same frequencies as some fire brigades and are probably illegal in France, too.

As I say, my experience with better quality PMR446 radios is that they are pretty good and you don't need to worry about a license.

Have a safe journey

Andy

Figgy,

I'm assuming that the Cobra radios are 'PMR446' type? If so, this is a European standard and is generally 'license free' within the EU.

I was recently on a shooting trip with friends across France, Belgium and into Germany. We took along a pair of PMR446 radios and found them very useful on the journey - within obvious range limitations - about 2 miles.

Some people have the American equivalent FRS466 (466MHz as opposed to 446Mhz). They are illegal in the UK as they are on the same frequencies as some fire brigades and are probably illegal in France, too.

As I say, my experience with better quality PMR446 radios is that they are pretty good and you don't need to worry about a license.

Have a safe journey

Andy

Don't know its it says pmr 6002 on sale in uk so im assuming legalpost-15874-0-65628400-1301347804.jpg this is the item.

Thanks for the help

ATB figgy

I don't know which model Cobra I have without finding them and having a look but I have found them to be excellent.

We bought them as we often go out and about inthe Peak District and used them last year in Scotland. Worked a treat from the top of Ben Nevis to relatives at the visitor center at the bottom.

States they have a range of 5 miles but in and around town I think that would be seriously reduced. Good quality and durable . Only cost about £50 with base and rechargable batteries.

V

Figgy,

Yes, the ones on the Go Outdoors website are PMR446. As others have said, there are plenty to choose from under £10 each up to over £200 each!!

Cheers

Andy

Don't know its it says pmr 6002 on sale in uk so im assuming legalpost-15874-0-65628400-1301347804.jpg this is the item.

Thanks for the help

ATB figgy

I have a pair of Motorola T7 which work well. They have now been replaced by a later model - T8 which has a built in led torch apparently. Cost around £70 for a pair with base station charger.

The range of all of these "leisure" radios is quoted at around 10km (6 miles) but that is wildly optimistic, line of sight with no obstructions. From car to car, given that you are in a metal box, a couple of miles is good but this can be further reduced in a busy town. If the two of you walk around town with the units in a coat pocket the range is again reduced to only about 1km as the aerial is not able to perform properly. But for the price... excellent.

If you can afford it go licenced, the licence itself is £75 for 5 years and the radios seem expensive (typically £150 each but you can spend a lot more - or a bit less) but they are much more powerful.

The extra money spent is well worth it if justified.

I got a bit frustrated with the relatively limited range of the T7 (one of the best in its class) and ended up going licenced with a pair of little Icoms on VHF so the kids use the T7's now. I could justify it for "business use".