traditional bluing.

syborg

hi folks.

I been talking to a veteran shooter about rebluing my 1947 bsa cadet major barrel..

he was explaining to me an old method using a parafin lantern and holding the flame just under the steel until the soot covers the barrels.

Then the soot is rubbed into the steel using a cloth. he mentioned this takes about 2 days to do a whole gun.

has anyone else heard of this method and what are the results like?

i was tempted to used liquid blue but if this method would provide a more classic look then i,ll use it.

cheers

syborg.

hi folks.

I been talking to a veteran shooter about rebluing my 1947 bsa cadet major barrel..

he was explaining to me an old method using a parafin lantern and holding the flame just under the steel until the soot covers the barrels.

Then the soot is rubbed into the steel using a cloth. he mentioned this takes about 2 days to do a whole gun.

has anyone else heard of this method and what are the results like?

i was tempted to used liquid blue but if this method would provide a more classic look then i,ll use it.

cheers

syborg.

The Old chap has got hold of the wrong end of the stick here.

I think he has been watching a gunmaker at work jointing barrels. We use a smoke lamp parafin and oil to give a sooty film on bright metal so as both surfaces come together we can see any high point. We call it smoke blacking, it will not act as a barrel finish. Just think this a slight misunderstanding

an old method using a parafin lantern and holding the flame just under the steel until the soot covers the barrels.

We used to use a similar method to blacken steel whilst I was serving my time, it used to work, but is far from ideal to blue barrels. Instead of rubbing the soot into the barrels with a cloth, we used to dip the steel into used oil, blacker the better (oil that is), keep on repeating the process till your happy with it.

Like I say it has it's uses, certainly not for bluing barrels though.