Shooting Greys

Maidment78

Evening,

Been doing a spot of tree rat clearing at the old mans place and managed to bag 7 so quite pleased. Question I have is what is the best way to get them when they are in the drey? mostly pine and beech trees so quite high up, I was half tempted to blast them ut with a number 3 shot but did not know what effect that might have.

Do not get to shoot them that often so want to make sure when I do I do a good job, I reckon I cleared 10% of the place by foot so still a lot more ground to cover.

If you have the time and are willing to do so , set up some feeding areas around the wood , make some squirrel feeders and use maize as bait , once they have found them you can keep the feeders topped up , then sit and wait for them to come and feed , some of the best sport you will have mate

If you have the time and are willing to do so , set up some feeding areas around the wood , make some squirrel feeders and use maize as bait , once they have found them you can keep the feeders topped up , then sit and wait for them to come and feed , some of the best sport you will have mate

Agreed. I shoot them from October to January on the pheasant feeders. No reason why you can't set up some feeding stations all year. Another tip is to smear some Nutella Chocolate Spread on branches where you can get a shot at them. Sit about thirty yards away across wind, not downwind, and wait. It doesn't usually take long for them to come running, noses in the air.