Manchester clays

reggiegun

I went to manchester clays as its only three miles from my home but when i got there it was ok don't get me wrong i have only two complaints about it number 1 the paths are horrendous big brick size boulders i kept tripping up nearly falling over when you are carrying an expensive gun last thing you want to do is fall and damage the thing.Number 2 when i went into the office to pay for fifty clays they pestered me to have a tuition at a cost of £65.00 for one hour when i didn't need it other than that it was an enjoyable days shooting.They also couldn't understand how i was granted a shotgun certificate when i haven't had any tuition on how to use a shotgun, considering i spent a number of years in the armed forces shooting big guns i consider myself competent enough to use a shotgun . Maybe i'm just being a bit picky i just felt they were being a little bit like **** turpin. :/

I went to manchester clays as its only three miles from my home but when i got there it was ok don't get me wrong i have only two complaints about it number 1 the paths are horrendous big brick size boulders i kept tripping up nearly falling over when you are carrying an expensive gun last thing you want to do is fall and damage the thing.Number 2 when i went into the office to pay for fifty clays they pestered me to have a tuition at a cost of £65.00 for one hour when i didn't need it other than that it was an enjoyable days shooting.They also couldn't understand how i was granted a shotgun certificate when i haven't had any tuition on how to use a shotgun, considering i spent a number of years in the armed forces shooting big guns i consider myself competent enough to use a shotgun . Maybe i'm just being a bit picky i just felt they were being a little bit like **** turpin. :/

You obviously have not been to many sporting clay shoots, some set up on farm land muddy up to your knees, Manchester clays is one of the better sporting lay outs, the track is good in my opinion.

Each to there own.

Regards,

Reggiegun

I am surprised bacb259 by your comment on the paths, most people complain about the track leading to ground :lol::lol: but not the paths. I was there on Thursday and I didn't notice anything untoward with the paths, you are in a wood after all so would not expect a tarmac smooth surface. There were certainly no major tripping hazards as far as I could see and bear in mind I don't like the place :P:P:P

As for pestering you to having a lesson, did you mention that you were a novice or that this was your first time clay shooting? If you did they (the ground) would be understandably nervous about an inexperienced shooter wandering about their ground with the potential to injure, maim or even kill. A lesson would not only give you the ability to potentially hit more clays but also to ensure you were given the safety advice that would make everyone more confident. I have never been in the forces but I imagine the safety briefings for using military weapons is totally different to that for using a sporting shotgun.

This is were a debate could start on the subject of a compulsory safety test prior to the granting of a SGC, I'm not thinking about anything other than perhaps a 1/2 or 1 day course costing less than £100 with safety and security being the only subjects. This could be undertaken by BASC or CPSA under license from the government as the speed awareness courses currently are (guess who got caught speeding recently?)

Passing this course would be universally recognised that the shooter should be safe, at the moment anyone can get a SGC (subject to the usual) buy a shotgun & cartridges, join the CPSA (or not) turn up at a ground and the very first time they load the gun is on the first stand!! Very, very unlikely I know but I'd be a lot happier if I thought everyone on the ground had had at least the basic safety training that responsible gun ownership requires.

If you are an experienced shooter and your post doesn't suggest this, then you can't blame the ground for trying to sell a service, a polite "no thank you" is all that's required BUT if you are a novice I think you might be better having the lesson or looking around for somewhere that offers a starter package a little cheaper.

Mr Potter

yep you are right reggeigun i haven't been to many places as yet i wasn't knocking the place i enjoyed my clay shoot its just that i nearly fell also they try and pressure you to take tuition lessons thats all . :)

Hi Brian,

Have you tried A6 clay club in Westhoughthon (www.a6ctc.co.uk), they have no tracks, all shooting off flags, down the line, ABT, skeet and sport trap, shot 25 birds at a time. You will not get the sporting bird selection as Worsley does.

Reggiegun

Point taken mr potter :good:, like reggiegun says i haven't been to many clay shoots of which i haven't i'm just having a grump day :oops: .

Manchester clays is open Wednesday nights till 7pm starting in May, message me if you fancy going some time, I go with my son. May be able to help in some way ( I am **** shot but been shooting for years)

Reggiegun