Guinea Fowl

caeser

I was driving home from work yesterday morning.About 6.45am (after a 12 hour night shift).Passing a couple of fields near my home, I'm always watching for bird movement out of the corner of my eye. I saw several crows on the ground, and something larger and grey amongst them. Stopped the car and had a better look, and to my surprise there was 2 guinea fowl happily mooching about in the grass.

I've probably driven past these fields most days in the last 25 years and never seen one before. :good:

Stupid birds apparently and not very good eating,

although the eggs are reputed to be nice :unsure:

It doesn't surprise me that they're stupid.After all ,pheasants are as daft as they come too. But it does surprise me that they aren't good eating. They just look like they're going to be good to eat, to me. (If you know what I mean.)

The supermarkets sell enough of them at £3 or £4 each, and nothing wrong with the flavour. Years ago I was out mooching once and came face to face with 2-3 in some woods but was so shocked and unsure of whether they`re legal quarry I just watched them float away :hmm: , could have head shot them with my shotgun at 10-15 yards.

I only commented on them not being very good eating based on what a friend of mine told me as he keeps a few.

Near to me there is someone who has quite a large flock that they let out to free range over the common, presumably they return home to roost each night