Working tests

pavman

After 18 months of training I decided to enter the pup in a working test. Knowing there are often pro trainers looking to get accreditation for there young dogs I decided none the less to give it a go. I have managed a 2nd and a 3rd with my older dog at intermediate level so have a reasonable understanding of what’s required.

I turn up Sunday to find running dogs are an IGL winner and IGL runner up and a pro trainer breeder who has a FTCH……………. Stiff sport indeed!

My aim was just to get through the tests making all retrieves and would have been happy with that

My draw was number 2 so I was first up with number 1 for a walk up shot will be fired judge said when I tell you number one send your dog then it will be number 2 (me) we walk on, shot fires my pup takes off at 100 MPH………….. so in less than 10 seconds we have been disqualified!!!

Judge says we will continue as they let young dogs complete all test but I am out……. Funny thing is the only thing I did not have cancers over was her steadiness, she has been solid for ages

I had to make the long walk of shame back to the waiting crowed who avoided eye contact but muttered better luck next time etc……………..

We went on to make some excellent retrieves all to no avail

They do say never work with animals and kids :blush:

You know it's not the winning that counts it's the... blah blah blah

I hate it when they do that, the one thing you're pretty confident will be fine goes pear shaped and everything else is on the money :lol:

Ach well, at least with that field you had plenty of excuses for not getting on the podium. :good:

You know what they say, 'don't work with children or animals'. My day job is working with children and all my spare time with animals. :):)

You have done the hard bit now, next time I am sure you will walk it. My trainer says , 'if you are not prepared to be made a t*t out of, don't compete with your dogs'. I am still trying. :) Helen.

You know it's not the winning that counts it's the... blah blah blah

I hate it when they do that, the one thing you're pretty confident will be fine goes pear shaped and everything else is on the money :lol:

Ach well, at least with that field you had plenty of excuses for not getting on the podium. :good:

Oh and he's used every one of them believe me! :yp: What he didn't mention (but I will:yes:) is that a young bitch (14 months) that my wife bred was entered in it's first test and came 3rd! :good:

Oh and he's used every one of them believe me! :yp: What he didn't mention (but I will:yes:) is that a young bitch (14 months) that my wife bred was entered in it's first test and came 3rd! :good:

why not also tell the nice people the handler is a pro trainer with a FTCH and came 2nd in the IGL................ now if you had trained and run your own dog I would be adding my congrats, watching someone else do the biz with your pup is not on my agenda :P

What you need to be saying and ensuring that everyone hears you at the start of the comp is

" I have done nothing with this dog" then when things go wrong you can just smile and when things go right you can watch the rest of the handlers muttering under their breaths :lol::lol::lol: