game keeping apprenticeships

does any one know of a gamekeeping apprenticeship or availability of apprenticeships for a 40 yr old countryman,been active in countrysports/foraging etc. also building site work for 18 yrs of my life(also security).wanted to get into this career since age 16 yrs,however parents advised against it as no call for that kind of work where we live(gutted,i should of followed my heart and not listened to them).had chance of going to hampshire college of agriculture,to do apprenticeship,at age 16 yrs ,however i was t old i needed employment 1st. any help in this field will be greatley appreciated.many thanks jason goode.p.s i am currently based in south nottingham,living on the biggest housing estate in europe(true)clifton! :good:

does any one know of a gamekeeping apprenticeship or availability of apprenticeships for a 40 yr old countryman,been active in countrysports/foraging etc. also building site work for 18 yrs of my life(also security).wanted to get into this career since age 16 yrs,however parents advised against it as no call for that kind of work where we live(gutted,i should of followed my heart and not listened to them).had chance of going to hampshire college of agriculture,to do apprenticeship,at age 16 yrs ,however i was t old i needed employment 1st. any help in this field will be greatley appreciated.many thanks jason goode.p.s i am currently based in south nottingham,living on the biggest housing estate in europe(true)clifton! :good:

newton rigg campus will take all ages best port of call bud. then you will learn with out being in a work place,and will geta placement thrue them

funny your experiance is similar to mine , although i got offered a place with a chap who is now my near neighbour and am a couple of years older- turned it down and gave them my school mates name instead (he has just dropped out of keepering and gone into a completely different line i believe). I still have some regrets but then again i didn't do too bad out of work and buisness, like you i would do it now more for the want than the cash but my history of working for someone else aint too good.

Good luck, i hope you get what your looking for :good:

funny your experiance is similar to mine , although i got offered a place with a chap who is now my near neighbour and am a couple of years older- turned it down and gave them my school mates name instead (he has just dropped out of keepering and gone into a completely different line i believe). I still have some regrets but then again i didn't do too bad out of work and buisness, like you i would do it now more for the want than the cash but my history of working for someone else aint too good.

Good luck, i hope you get what your looking for :good:

many thanks for advice m8

mate great idea and great way to live , but really hard work , i,d love to have done it insted of getting into agriculture ( for what that was worth :rolleyes: , it went down hill when foot and mouth hit :/ )

dont be put off but , i know a newbie gamekeeper who lives in clifton , i,m afraid he cant get any work either and hes only 21 and fresh out of college and dead keen .

it was his dream and cost his parents thousands to fund him through , unfortunatley he,s ended up working at boots as a temp :( .

just google it. malcome riding or colin blanchard are the course leaders. be warned game keeping is very very hard to get in to. each job in the shooting times can get as many as 2-300 aplicants so geting in is slim and if you do its very very hard not only the work but the life

mate great idea and great way to live , but really hard work , i,d love to have done it insted of getting into agriculture ( for what that was worth :rolleyes: , it went down hill when foot and mouth hit :/ )

dont be put off but , i know a newbie gamekeeper who lives in clifton , i,m afraid he cant get any work either and hes only 21 and fresh out of college and dead keen .

it was his dream and cost his parents thousands to fund him through , unfortunatley he,s ended up working at boots as a temp :( .

hiya mate ,where abouts in nottm are you based? and i would love to have a chat or meet up for a swift pint or 10 some time. with regards to hard work ,i know ,im used to doing 80- 90 hrs a week in security (7 nights aweek and 12 -14-16 hour shifts)per nite,so only literally get home from work and grab 4 hours kip ,before getting up again.also with regard to site work i was in charge of some big projects around town (nottm),employed as a chargehand(hirer n firer),,and my grandad yoused to have a building business with 80+men on the books .this was before he had a brain emerage(two) and a company called taylor woodrows took him under.thanx for advice though and maybe we and your mate from clifton could meet up? for an evening?ps boots and randstadt(the agency that employs the temps are garbage,ive a mate there,and he only gets 2-3 days a week work,they promised him 50 hrs + :good: