Fairground shooting galleries

I remember the live .22 range on one of the Brighton piers. Some years later I was stuck in a coastal town in France (ship crew on strike) and went off to a local fair. The shooting stand was a real eye opener. We had a choice of rifles (all .22) reduced from whatever calibre they had been. I had a Winchester (Yup, just like the cowboys). Problem for me was that being left handed the hot cartridges ejected down my right sleeve. Made me jump a bit.

Just as we were about to leave, the owner invited us to view a project piece he was working on, a home made 'Ingram' machine gun. I can't imagine that even in those days, anyone here would have dared to show a couple of strangers a project like that! Now days he would have SO19 :yp: piled so high over his prostrate (and probably lead filled) body there would hardly be room for the Antis or the RSPCA or RSPB (just because they like the practice and.. RSPCA have a uniform! They can even blow their whistle if they like,so there). Sorry, where was I?

Anyway thanks for all the above stuff. :good:

I remember those pump action .22's and smashing plaster clay pipes on a revolving weel i think and ducks on a convayor. Bond and Bywaters told me they lost a lot of buisness when the galleries closed as they supplied a stack of ammo to them, shorts with a lead composite bullet i believe (you would want one behind the lug hole though). Once they moved on to BSA metiors with wobbly barrel lock ups the job went bad i think :rolleyes: