Computer problem

steve_b_wales

I noticed today that the DVD/CD drive in my PC does'nt work. I tried to play a CD and a DVD, but nothing happens. When I tried to make a back up of a DVD that contains photographs, the program asked for a 'disc to be inserted', which means that the drive is not recognising anything.

I have tried doing a System Restore twice, but still have the same problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve.

Hi Steve try this.control panel-system-click the hardware tab-click device manager-go down the list looking for dvd/cd rom drives,if it's there highlight it then at the top click action and select scan for hardware changes.If you dvd/cd rom drive was not there highlight windows and do the same highlight and scan

hope it helps

john

I am going to make some assumptions to start. 1) You are using the correct media in the drive (as in, not putting a DVD into a CD only drive) and 2) There is power getting to the drive (the manual eject is functioning)

If you can see the drive in 'My Computer' and/or 'Device Manager' (as above), then try giving the drive a blow out with some compressed air. Sometimes the lens gets a bit of dust on it (especially if not used a great deal - or if in a dusty environment).

If it is not being recognised by the system at all (not in 'My Computer' or 'Device Manager') then it could be an issue with the BIOS, so you will need to restart your PC and have a look in there. It is generally a case of pressing the 'Del' or 'F2' key when it restarts. Look in there for 'IDE Devices' or something along those lines. If it is not listed - the drive it likely to be duff. But, there is the chance it's the cable that has come loose (only you will know if that could have happened). To sort that, you'd need to take off the side panel and ensure the ribbon cable cable is seated firmly.

If you want to talk over phone, let me know. It's been my job for 10+ years :)

I am going to make some assumptions to start. 1) You are using the correct media in the drive (as in, not putting a DVD into a CD only drive) and 2) There is power getting to the drive (the manual eject is functioning)

If you can see the drive in 'My Computer' and/or 'Device Manager' (as above), then try giving the drive a blow out with some compressed air. Sometimes the lens gets a bit of dust on it (especially if not used a great deal - or if in a dusty environment).

If it is not being recognised by the system at all (not in 'My Computer' or 'Device Manager') then it could be an issue with the BIOS, so you will need to restart your PC and have a look in there. It is generally a case of pressing the 'Del' or 'F2' key when it restarts. Look in there for 'IDE Devices' or something along those lines. If it is not listed - the drive it likely to be duff. But, there is the chance it's the cable that has come loose (only you will know if that could have happened). To sort that, you'd need to take off the side panel and ensure the ribbon cable cable is seated firmly.

If you want to talk over phone, let me know. It's been my job for 10+ years :)

I tried the above, ie, the PC is recognising the drive (HT-DT-ST DVD RAM GH 22NP20) I tried some compressed air, although not very powerful, and it still does not recognise it. Shall I take the panel off to check for anything obvious? I don;t think there's a lead loose, as the drive is showing up.

Steve.

Sounds ******** if its not spinning the disc, but one other thing you can try is it get a disc drive cleaner if you cant get to the laser, it is a disc with little brushes on and all you add is a cleaning solution sometimes the compressed air in can cant get to the exact spot :good:

I had similair problems for a year on my laptop then noticed in the drive that ejects i could get to the laser i cleaned it with a clean cotton bud and worked from that day on :lol:

Good luck

I tried various idea's that PW members suggested, to no avail. I borrowed another driver, installed it, and everything is working.

The knackered driver was only purchased last November, and carries a two year guarantee. All I need to do now is find the bloody receipt, and I'll send it back for repair or replacement.

My thanks to all who offered their help. It's much apprecaisted.

Regards

Steve.