More than one dog?

Piebob

Coupe312's thread about the spaniel potentially free to a good home got me thinking. I currently have a cocker pup and have always thought I'd get him a companion when he's about 1-year old.

So my question is - In your experience, how much more "work" is it to own a second dog if you already have one?

Also, I'm assuming any new pup will have to be trained from scratch. Is this the case? Or will a younger dog learn from a trained or part-trained dog as it sees what it does in response to certain commands?

Piebob

bob i have 2 collies from when i was on the farm and a spaniel of the springer type lol love my dogs, would go without the wife first lmao they are quite tying but i have many good friends who help look after them if im away but think two dogs not that much more work than one in my opinion

cheers kirky :o

I usually have 3 or 4 on the go, depends also on how much work you can give them. And age, it's always good to have a young un coming on IMO.

Before I left the UK to come here I had 3 Labs and a JR, Labs were 8, 6, and 18months, two went two a keeper and the young un went to an old friend who had just lost his. So the young un was just about finished. But I can give em a lot of work and sometimes they need rested or come in to season etc, depends how serious you are about your sport, beating or picking up, rabbiting.

I return to a new job in the UK on Saturday and have bought a two week old Lab and think I've secured an 18month old Lab to bring on during the Summer, so at least I'll be ready for next season, I'll probably look for another to bring on when I return, the JR's been with a girlfriend.

IMO, 4/5 are just as much bother as one, I kennell mine though have the land etc.

Go for it, man's best friend.

Hammy

• 2 weeks later...

hi, young pups will learn alot from older experienced dogs. There for will make it alot easyer for you.

i have a 10 year old lab brilliant gun dog always has been since she was a pup. got a ESS last year and with being with the older lab all the time it has brong the springer on superbly. ;)