hide roof

barney 66

Went crow decoying for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon,tried it with a roof on my hide for the 1st time made with some garden poles from B&Q with pipe clips screwed in the ends clipped to my hide poles with a net over,worked a treat the crows coming over the hedge didnt see me for a change and even came for a 2nd look,so i will be doing this again,the only difference i have split the poles and put a joiner in to make them easier to carry and fit in my L/Rover 90

I use the same tecnique when I make a roof hide, except my poles I use for the roof weigh almost nothing.

I bought 4 telescopic fishing poles from the pound shop, cost obviously £4

I take the end 2 or 3 sections off and use the rest which gives me about 2m of rod fully extended. I then drilled a 3mm hole about 1cm from each end all the way through the hollow rod. I then take a small length of garden wire about 8cm and thread one through each hole. I then create a loose loop at each end twisting the wire together to close my loop. So I have a key ring in effect attached to each end; and I have made 4 of these.

Takes about 10 minutes to do all four poles and that's job done.

You then set up your four hide poles as usual, then you take one of your rods and you hang the rod to the top of your hide poles using the rings at the end creating a cross pole. The good thing about this design is that the distance between your hide poles doesn't have to be exact as you simply extend thefishing poles accordingly. You then hang your net and can make a full hide roof or half however it suits on the day. I prefer a half roof at the back of the hide so I can sit under it at the back of the hide hen step forward whet I can shoot even overhead.

They pack in my hide pole bag, weigh very little and cheap as chips.