Plumbers / bathroom fitters

Dave 101

Hi

A friend has just had a new bathroom fitted the guy who did the work has left under a bit of a cloud so its not possible to get him back to sort this out . The sink plug is one that works on a rod fitted to the taps , the rod goes up and down and is connected to a horizontal rod which goes into the back of the waste pipe and opperates the plug plunger . The problem is it leaks , I have had it to bits and cant see how the seal is made , the horizontal rod has a ball fixed to it this sits in a plastic ring which is retained by a metal threaded cover . As none of these parts fit together tightly how is it supposed to be water tight ?

Any ideas on this , I have found 2 "O" RINGS ABOUT 1/2" WITH SOME PAPER WORK AND WONDERED IF THESE HAD ANYTHING TO WITH IT . [ sorry typed in caps ]

Dave

The rod that runs from the waste horizontally with the ball on it, should locate into a plastic insert in the waste. The insert is a snug fit in the brass and then shaped to accept the ball. There is generally a similar albeit smaller ring on the back side of the ball which sits between the ball and the chrome knurled nut.

When assembled and screwed up firmly with finger strength, that shouuld be adeqaute for the plastics to make an adequate seal against each other. Generally there aren't any o-ring or similar seals in the pop up assembly.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Hi Mongrel

So there should be 2 plastic rings / cups to enclose the ball , I only have 1 which is fitted on the chromed nut side . what you are saying makes sense to me , I did think there could be something missing and he hasnt bothered to do it properly .

Had my suspicians when he needed a couple of wing nuts and washers for the cistern to fit it to the toilet , he also reckoned the 1 1/2" threads were not long enough to fit it to the toilet which is only 1/2" thick .

Thanks for the info , not sure what I can do now though .

Dave

Edited by Dave 101

Hi Mongrel

So there should be 2 plastic rings / cups to enclose the ball , I only have 1 which is fitted on the chromed nut side . what you are saying makes to me , I did think there could be something missing and he hasnt bothered to do it properly .

Had my suspicians when he needed a couple of wing nuts and washers for the cistern to fit it to the toilet , he also reckoned the 1 1/2" threads were not long enough to fit it to the toilet which is only 1/2" thick .

Thanks for the info , not sure what I can do now though .

Dave

Try removing the plastic ring and fitting this into the waste then reassemble.

Edited by MJT