CAST.....

marmitemania

Does having a gun with the correct cast for your hand really make a difference, My Rizzini is straight stock and I shoot left handed even though Im right handed (Im just weird I also hold a snooker cue left handed). I think Im a reasonably compitent shot 2 this evening for 2 shots 1 bird was at least 55 foot or more away, anyway without waffaling Im thinking of treating myself to something a bit more upmarket than the old sideplate and will be looking too spend around the £800 mark, secondhand though, I just want to know if I should be looking at true left hand guns only. (Just to add the Laurona is a very slight left shoot roughly the same with it but dont like the feel as much as the Rizzini and the Felix is a right but I dont know if Im useless with that because its a SXS.) And before anyone says I know this might seem a stupid question to some.

I am left handed, so I can truthfully say that cast makes a big difference if it is significantly cast for the right hander (cast off). A straight stock is easy to cope with and even slight cast off can be adapted to, but you will always shoot better if the gun is set up for you. Even if you cannot afford to get a favourite gun altered, you should try to find someone who knows how to help you with this and identify your specific needs. you might find a friendly gunshop owner, but a lesson from a professional is likely to show up a lot of your requirements. If you are shooting left handed, you may be left eye dominant also, but not necessarily so. Bottom line, get professional assistance if you can, before you develop bad habits. :oops:

Left handed cast is 'cast on'. There are a number of other adjustments also available to ensure a good fit. Many modern guns come with shims to allow a range of adjustments. You could also try asking a lefty at a local club if you can try out his gun.You may be pleasently surprised by how you shoot with it.

Mart :D

I am left handed, so I can truthfully say that cast makes a big difference if it is significantly cast for the right hander (cast off). A straight stock is easy to cope with and even slight cast off can be adapted to, but you will always shoot better if the gun is set up for you. Even if you cannot afford to get a favourite gun altered, you should try to find someone who knows how to help you with this and identify your specific needs. you might find a friendly gunshop owner, but a lesson from a professional is likely to show up a lot of your requirements. If you are shooting left handed, you may be left eye dominant also, but not necessarily so. Bottom line, get professional assistance if you can, before you develop bad habits. :oops:

Left handed cast is 'cast on'. There are a number of other adjustments also available to ensure a good fit. Many modern guns come with shims to allow a range of adjustments. You could also try asking a lefty at a local club if you can try out his gun.You may be pleasently surprised by how you shoot with it.

Mart :D

I agree with all that has been said above

I shoot LH (everything else RH) and having a factory LH cast gun does make a big difference for me its not just the cast but other things like the palm swell etc (the angle of the toe made a big difference for me) if your narrow in the chest then straight cast may be ok (mine still has RH top lever) and some guns can be shimmed cast on or Cast off (Semi's and other composite stock guns like Browning Cynergy) £800 you'll have limited choice LAnber, Franchi and a few others do LH guns

Thanks Mart and bakerboy, I think I will see if I can have a bit of tuition, the instructor will have a left handed gun wont he? I think I shoot reasonably well but I am fairly new to shotguns after air rifles which of course are very different. The Rizzini is always my choice even though the Laurona has a bit of left cast is almost imperceptable, same with the Felix it has minute right cast, but I think I would have more sucsess throwing it at the birds.

HDAV I was thinking of around £800 for a second hand gun, I still think my choice will be limited looking at guntrader and the like, I am reasonably tall at 6 foot but not hugely built so as you say straight case is suiting me. I think I just want a bit more flash gun as a treat and want to make sure I do it right, my old Rizzini sideplate stil a handsome gun though.

HDAV I was thinking of around £800 for a second hand gun, I still think my choice will be limited looking at guntrader and the like, I am reasonably tall at 6 foot but not hugely built so as you say straight case is suiting me. I think I just want a bit more flash gun as a treat and want to make sure I do it right, my old Rizzini sideplate stil a handsome gun though.

Please get your new gun fitted for you you will never look back at 6 foot 90+% of guns will be to short of the peg and with a longer stock length cast to fit is a must if you wish to shoot to your best.

Regards Sage.