Trap Shooters

Big deal thats what you would expect the novice terrified about missing crowds etc.

leading trap shooter done it all before would not be worried ?

load of overpriced mumbo jumbo

How kind of you for the praise and embracing of such subjects. It always makes me smile when I get such a considered response, if you had chosen to read the research and actually understood it, then you would have more of appreciation for the subject. Of course the thought process is influenced by the standard of the person, but it is also influenced by the mental challenges and anxiety that competition brings to it. The top shot is also affected by nerves and as such the key to move from say A Class upwards is a big leap as expectations are higher.

In all the years of research that I have conducted, costs covered by myself, many shooters have always been keen to learn and understand more. The feedback I have is well received. I somehow doubt I will see you on one of our Masterclasses, as you must be an expert shot & expert coach.

I look forward to more measured responses by people who take an interest in improving their scores.

quote Positive Mental Attitude - PMA

“don't think of an egg yolk!” Bet you are thinking of one now. Quick tip: use positive words to describe the opposite to the negative. Everytime you say 'don't do' or 'don't think' you highlight and reinforce the negative. Quick way – egg yolk scenario “think of the white of an egg” – now what do you see? Simple but effective.

end quote

The above text says it all

quote Positive Mental Attitude - PMA

“don't think of an egg yolk!” Bet you are thinking of one now. Quick tip: use positive words to describe the opposite to the negative. Everytime you say 'don't do' or 'don't think' you highlight and reinforce the negative. Quick way – egg yolk scenario “think of the white of an egg” – now what do you see? Simple but effective.

end quote

The above text says it all

Sorry to stick my oar in but, yes it does - say it all that is. :good: Negative reinforcement is nothing new, most good teachers, coaches, instructors etc. have been aware of this for years, (e.g. when coaching never demonstrate your students fault(s)) however, it is always worth reminding ourselves of it's possible consequences. For example, when dabbling with the odd round of DTL or facing the last pair on a sporting stand, I used to say to myself "don't miss" as opposed to my current mantra of "one shot, one kill" :yp:

It might seem simple (Yes, it is) but negative and positive reinforcement are undisputed facts. I work on the principle that anything, however small, that I can do to give me an extra clay is worth considering 'cos those are the margins that competitions are won & lost by.

I have to say I really enjoy this forum. I have found it both helpful & informative. I like the sometimes forthright discussions and also enjoy reading the banter. What has begun to really #$*? me off is the contemptuous and disparaging replies when people are voicing their opinions or trying to be helpful. If you don't agree then either say so and why, (possibly offering a valid alternative?)or just don't bother. There, got it off my chest.....feel better now :D

I have to say that Forums are great places to create interest and debate, that is one of the reasons to use them. It is also for giving information and freedom of speech. Over the last 20 years in my professional career in sport psychology I have been called a "witch doctor" and much more. I remember having a heated debate with an English Fast Bowler in the changing room before a big game - it all got pretty heated - without giving away the name of the said player, he was not a quiet sort of player. The debate revolved around my work being rubbish and why would someone need it. He said "it is just common sense, you get stressed so you should relax and be in control" - I agreed with him "of course it is common sense, but the challenge is when to use the common sense and for some people how to use common sense".

Some of the points are valid within this thread, and sports psychology as with pure psychology are common sense, it is just that some people have difficulty in applying it. And what makes my work so fascinating is the fact that every person is different..

I get it - it looks like sound research to me, I guess the next question is HOW shooters control their heart rate when they step up to the stand. Physical fitness will be one part of it, so CV training will help there - but I suspect the real sweet spot is the mental training that helps shooters relax.

Some of it is common sense - but I wonder if any of the top shooters have used meditation techniques, or relaxation techniques to control their heart rates?

Positive reinforcement seems like something that should be approached with some 'strategy' behind it - my opinion is that it won't be enough to just give your self some positive thoughts as you step up - it needs to be a continuous process that goes through training, preparation and finally during competition.

I agree - you have to be on top of your mental game to be a winner. Leading up to a days shooting I begin to visualise myself breaking the targets or Pheasants prior to the actual day. I try to break the target in the same place on each shot - consistancy is vital. Erratic shooting ultimately will lead to misses and in a competition especially 100 trap - you can't afford any misses. To come back after dropping an early target is hard and it is hard not to think about - treat every target as if your life depended on breaking it and you will succeed. I shot several rounds at my local ground a couple of weeks ago and a tagged along with a couple of old boys who were really nice blokes but there shooting was poor and inconsistant despite being very experienced shots. When we had finished up and were having coffee we were talking about how well we all had shot and I explained politely that the reason they had shot poorly was that they were far too casual about their approach, talking whilst actually shooting, calling pull before they are even ready, wrong gun hold point, constantly worried about the right choke and cartridge and the list goes on. They will always be moderate shots and will always be changing guns and cartridges trying to find the shotgun that will make them shoot 100% - sadly it will never happen for them. I of course am not saying that you shouldn't enjoy yourself and the company of others but even in practice you should strive to do it properly, then it becomes second nature! :good: