L98A1 Cadet rifle

Dave TS

there are some forsale..

but, very few, as the only ones are the 1st lot that fell in to civi hands in canada..

the uk ones are un marked... so will never be relaesed into civi hands..

as far as I know, they are crushing any that are given up....

and most are being replaced by the new s.l.r. version of the A2...

so, good luck!!!

btw the last opne I heard of went for £2k

Wanted - L98A1 cadet rifle - the 5.56mm straight pull single shot cadet version of the SA80/L85A1

As a lot of people they are available, rare as unicorn **** and mainly in canada. The obvious elephant in the room question though is why do you want one?

I got to know them very well in the late 80's early ninetys during my stint in the cadet force and would still put money on being able to strip one blindfold. but i would never want to buy one. for a military rifle firing a soppy 5.56 nato it was overly heavy, being constructed out of sheet steel and prone to loosing bolt relaease catches. the extended cocking handle also had a tendency to rattle.

I wou't bore you with too much of the history (wikipedia it) the SA80/IW is the worst,cheap & nastiest small arm that has british army has ever been issued with with the sole exception of the Sten Gun.

If you want a 223 tactical straight pull rifle go for a m16 derived or Steyr AuG derived gun - both are available in the UK.

the common misconseption is that the sa80 is a bad rifle...

it wasnt / isnt... it was just built badly & cheaply...

and yes, I have shot the L98, Lsw & L85

with more rounds than I care to remember!!

HK have proved that by the A2 version... which is probably the best 5.56mm assault rifle today..

its by far the most accurate, and the reworked mag is the best stanag mag around (the yanks will swap anything for them!!)

in very recent trails, it come out top...

I do however agree that, like I said earlier, you are chassing a white rabbit... I know, cos I have done the same..!! lol

however... I went one better.... I got myself a Bushmaster m17s... the only bad bit with this rifle was it wasnt a semi from factory... but, alas, that dont matter, as you can only have them as a straight pul, anyway....

Edited by treetop

I've done the same sort of shooting as you have (A1GP, A2, as well as more "exotic" rifles), but I disagree with your comment about it being the best assault rifle in the world today.

I _DETEST_ the bulpup design. It puts the mag in the wrong place for a swift change, and the drills are made unnecessarily complicated by the location and orientation of the cocking lever. It's also not ambidextrous, and if a southpaw does forget and try to fire it left-handed, then they lose teeth.

I far prefer a conventional rifle (HK416/M4/HK53) and if I had to choose, would use one over the L85.

• 3 weeks later...

As a lot of people they are available, rare as unicorn **** and mainly in canada. The obvious elephant in the room question though is why do you want one?

Because I have a 1954 Enfield .303 No 4 Mk II plus a straight pull L1A1 SLR, and would like to bring my British service rifle collection up to date, and the L98A1 is the only way to do it ;)

there are some forsale..

but, very few, as the only ones are the 1st lot that fell in to civi hands in canada..

the uk ones are un marked... so will never be relaesed into civi hands..

as far as I know, they are crushing any that are given up....

and most are being replaced by the new s.l.r. version of the A2...

so, good luck!!!

btw the last opne I heard of went for £2k

What do you mean "unmarked"?

As I heard it, the single shot A1's are being sent to H&K to convert to semi auto A2's, not actually being replaced.

£2k....same as I paid for my straight pull L1A1 SLR then. I could cope with that ;)

I got to know them very well in the late 80's early ninetys during my stint in the cadet force and would still put money on being able to strip one blindfold. but i would never want to buy one. for a military rifle firing a soppy 5.56 nato it was overly heavy, being constructed out of sheet steel and prone to loosing bolt relaease catches. the extended cocking handle also had a tendency to rattle.

I wou't bore you with too much of the history (wikipedia it) the SA80/IW is the worst,cheap & nastiest small arm that has british army has ever been issued with with the sole exception of the Sten Gun.

If you want a 223 tactical straight pull rifle go for a m16 derived or Steyr AuG derived gun - both are available in the UK.

Also jammed quite easily from what I remember, some had some absolutely evil raw edges and was quite plasticky. I loved it as it did make me feel well'ard firing them aged 15 whilst all my school mates were playing with skateboards.