One for the 4X4 guys

Hi all.

My friend has a Pajero 2.8TD 1994. It has been stood for 4 years and thought all had been done for mot first one for a good while.

While driving it tonight he noticed that the dashboard lights displaying the wheels that the front 2(front wheel drive) were flashing all the time when in 4X4 mode or not.

It goes from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive ok but then got stuck. Tried to put it to lock all wheels and it kept jumping out, when it did go in the light was on the dashboard to say all wheels locked but only front left and rear right were turning.

Has anyone got any idea why this would happen? I would think it would still pass a mot but don't fancydigging it out again. Thanks

Its a long time since I drove a shogun; but you could try selecting 2 wd, and then reversing the vehicle a bit; then select 4wd and fiddle with the swirches for diff locks etc once you have 4wd engaged.

Young webber may be able to assist, you know where to find him.

webber

I changed the engine in mine and now the top lights flash when in 2 wheel drive, i dont know how to correct this and neither do the boys who swapped the engines, the wagon is runing ok and it will only become a problem if i need to explain it to a prospective buyer. Looking at pajero sites it seems that this is not uncommon and can even occur after changeing a radio. :hmm:

I Had a similar problem with my Trooper when selecting 4wd, the dash like kept flashing & no engagement, turned out to be 2 siezed vac pump solonoids (cant remember the real name) they,ve got to be used regular or they have a habit of sticking, common fault on troopers, not sure if shoguns have a similar set up but just maybe !!! :hmm:

I'm not overly familiar with the shogun. But as far as I was aware they just had a centre diff lock and sometimes a rear diff lock. Two wheels turning sounds just like the vehicle is in 4wd with the centre diff locked. If you could lock the rear diff you'd have three turning at the same speed but not four. A simple test for the rear locker is to get the back axle on stands with the tyres in the air. Rotate one wheel in a direction and see if the other side moves in the opposite direction. Then engage the locker and they should move in the same direction.

Four wheel drive with the centre diff open should send all the power to one wheel if it spins.

The rear lockers I think are electrically engaged and the solenoids can fail from lack of use. It is quite common on the landcruisers.