opinions please...

Right guys im 18 years onld and in the tackle trade and have been now for nearly 5 years ( yes i was only 14 when i started) and i am now full time working 50 hours mon-fri on a steady wage...

i was up at the cla this weekend working and had a think of doing something that i should of really done a couple of years ago straight out of school..

im looking at gamekeeping courses in my local college which does it, now its only 1 day a week for 1 or 2 years... thats great my boss said hes happy for me to do it.. now when i mentioned it to the other boys in work i got mixed views.. one guy said how it would be stupid and how we all have our ideal job but very few get it... this frustrates me and wants me to persist with it even more!!! Im now thinking to do a full time agricultural course as well as the game keeping along side it, but then obviously my income would drop dramatically...

i dont no what to do, i can afford to lose the one day a week pay but not go from 5 days a week to maybe just a saturday job...

are there many keepers about on here? any advice... all considered...

its not just a bee i got in my bonnet its something i have always wanted to do... ive beaten on a shoot, i would happily work on one on the weekends to get a taster for it im an outdoors sort of person and not afraid of hard work as im working 10 hour days at the moment...

what to do,?

thanks

You have to be realistic about this.

There are few top jobs in gamekeeping and its not the best paid of jobs.

Its good in fine weather and purgatory in bad - which it most often is.

Hours of slog but in a beautiful environment.

Not easy to attract a mate - hard to live on satisfaction.

50 years ago there was a future, now fewer keepers chase a much reduced number of jobs - that means the market is saturated. You have to be really good.

I think you'd be better considering estate management. This would allow you to blend agriculture and a knowledge of game shooting as many of the large estates are often owned by absentee owners and managed by the likes of Strutt and Parker for both agriculture and sport.

I was keen to be a gamekeeper as I loved and still do the life but I couldnt make it work for me.

I'm retired now and gamekeep part time, I have earned a lot and have a good pension but I sometimes wonder if I'd have been happier as a keeper.

I'm sure its romantic hindsight.

Make absolutely certian its where your heart is and you can cope with the loneliness, somtimes isolation, hard work, low pay and almost feudal service - if the answer is still yes, then maybe it is for you.

The best for your future - whatever you choose

well frstly thank you kes for your help, :)

estate maagement was another option i considered which could entail keepering... its deffinately a route I want to take.. whether it be keepering or estate management as they both go hand in hand i appreciate there will be times when i think i have the best job in the world, yet there will be others when i think i have the worst job. its swings and rounabouts but i feel as im more suited to country and outdoors work...

thaks

jazz

Jazz

I'm nearly 29 and since leaving school 11 years ago I was forced by my parents to study Accountancy, whilst wanting to study veterinary. Since then I obtained my degree and qualified as an accountant at one of the big international accountancy firms, with a promising career ahead of me. At the begining of last year I started applying for Uni to study Veterinary and was excepted. When I handed in my notice my parents and colleagues thought I was mad. As I am going for a second degree I can't receive any student loans and money is very tight at the moment and will be for several years. But what I can say is that I have never been happier.

I you know what you want to do, do it. Don't waste 10 years like I did!

When you look at a course, look at the pay and prospects afterwards. The college/uni etc will have stats on students who get jobs after their courses.... have a look at it. Think about supply (of students) and demand (from employers)... this is vitally important.

Some employers will tell you which colleges they look at for new staff - there are good and bad colleges!

Most people should expect to have a career change in their working lives, sometimes a few.

Good luck with what ever you choose :good:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the help guys i think i have decided on what i want to do...

Countryside and land management on a full time course as well as the game keeping part time course... the countryside land management will/ can open a whole load of doors for me in the near future.. possible jobs which i have looked in to all based in the countryside where i want to be..

thanks