P60 Request from HMRC

alexf

Your employer should have filed this with HMRC and provided you a copy by early June 10(iirc) so it maybe that it's been misplaced and they are asking you for it directly.

As long as your employer has paid over the contributions correctly it shouldn't lead to any further payments being due.

I'd check with your employer to make sure it was filed correctly and maybe ask them to send a copy or if easier just do it yourself.

Just had a letter from HMRC requesting my p60 from 2009 is this where I now get a letter telling me I owe them money? Anyone else had one?

It just shows what you have been paid for that tax year with all deductions etc. It is normally a bit like your payslip with the tear off bits etc but a different colour.

Your employer has a legal requirement to issue a annual return to the IR each year after their payroll year end for each tax year for every employee. (i know I have had to do it and what a pain in the a.... it is). The IR get a copy of your P60 and a full listing of each employee and they should both tie up exactly - in most companies the end of year return is done electronically.

If you have your copy of the P60, get your employer to stamp a photocopy of yours saying this "is a certified copy of the original and we have seen proof of the original or attach a letter saying so". Do not send your original P60 to the IR if it gets lost you cannot get a replacement, all you can then get will be is a letter from your employer confirming the figures on the P60. You should treat a P60 like gold dust and keep them.

If you have not got your P60 copy ask your employer to write a letter confirming your P60 figures which they will have. This should also suffice for the IR.

The P60 cannot be reissued by any employer as it is illegal to do so. It could be the IR are checking up on records if they have a query or it may be part of a internal audit at the IR end. Either way better to be on the right side of them and supply whats asked if your pay was through PAYE you should have nothing to worry about.

I have worked for a employer who was very behind paying money over to the IR and whilst the employees thought it was being paid over it was not, the IR came in and invetigated them. The P60 is your proof of what your deductions and earnings have been in each tax year and if you have that its your proof as to what the employer has declared as well.

Thanks for the info all. Can't find the p60 they have requested, spoke to my old employer and the HR department are sending me a statement of my earnings and deductions for that year. Have also been told that the wage slip for the March of that year will also suffice.

I have worked for a employer who was very behind paying money over to the IR and whilst the employees thought it was being paid over it was not, the IR came in and invetigated them. The P60 is your proof of what your deductions and earnings have been in each tax year and if you have that its your proof as to what the employer has declared as well.

My wife's old company were doing that to her as well we have just found out.