Creating a flight pond feeder, advice please

Now then, I have purchased a one directional auto feeder, first job done. I have then purchased a 200l plastic barrel, which I hope to place the feeder on the bottom of.

I see these plastic barrels are commonly used, but wonder if anyone has any advice on their assembly into feeders? i.e. attaching the legs etc. Are they brittle? do you cut the legs at angle? what do you bolt them on with?

Any advice would be great please as I would like to get this ready for the wildfowling in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks,

Snipe.

we cut the legs at an angle

the barrels we have arent brittle and drill is used

couple of cheap but sizey bolts, washers and nuts straight through the legs

you must not be planning on shooting the pond for a while yet?

Edited by TJ91

we cut the legs at an angle

the barrels we have arent brittle and drill is used

couple of cheap but sizey bolts, washers and nuts straight through the legs

you must not be planning on shooting the pond for a while yet?

Thanks for that. Do you just use some treated wood for the legs? and do you put 2 bolts on each legs? assume so, to stop them from turning.

As for not shooting the pond for a while; why not? The season kicks off on September 1st. I will be hand feeding before the feeder gets put into use.

Thanks,

Snipe.

fair enough, if your feeding by hand before, i would get the feeder there well before i shot thats all.

yes 2 bolts per leg to keep it sturdy

we usually slap aload of creo on the legs, any treatment to prevent rot would be good, especially when using near a pond, rot is garanteed but anything to slow it down cant be a bad thing!

good luck with it!

fair enough, if your feeding by hand before, i would get the feeder there well before i shot thats all.

yes 2 bolts per leg to keep it sturdy

we usually slap aload of creo on the legs, any treatment to prevent rot would be good, especially when using near a pond, rot is garanteed but anything to slow it down cant be a bad thing!

good luck with it!

Thanks for that. I have a big bin up there already, which I keep the current food stash in, so hopefully the new setup won't be too alien to them.

It's on a marsh at the top of some land, so I will definitely your creo tip onboard.

Thanks once again for the tips, I will action them!

Snipe