Steadiness

low flyer

hi looking for advice :hmm:

have spaniel cross 2 yrs old is good on whistle :yes: until something living moves then off she goes.

I know a rabbit pen would be ideal but none near any ideas on how i can resolve this :good:

as every one here know not dogs fault need to find solution for her.

thanks again :good:

Sit her up in a field with a long lead on. Take balls and dummy's and start throwing them about and it she moves give her a telling off. Repeat the command sit all the time and keep eye contact. If she does a runner put her back on the spot and repeat the sit command. Start off with a short sit first and give her lots of praise or a treat when she does it well and increase the length of time and amount and type of distractions as time goes on.

Start off close to her and move away as she gets better. ALWAYS walk back to her and don't call her in or she will be waiting for the command to run in and that won't help her steadiness.

Eventually you should be able to walk all around the field and she should just sit and wait for you. Just remember give her lots of praise, don't let her get away with anything and be consistent.

You can also change the above exercise to throwing dummies back over the dogs head or across him when he is hunting or returning to you. Another way is to go out with another dog and let your dog watch the other retrieving etc. Another way is to walk him in an area with lots of wildlife on the lead. If he pulls to get to them stop and sit him then start off again

Ah, forget the pen they soon learn about being in it. Get it out among the game, if it ignoors the wistle rollock it fetch it back to the exact spot and look staight at it and blow again forcing it to sit. Sooner or later it will get the message and in time will sit to flush without the wistle. Always make a fuss of it in some way when it does it right though :good:

Do it real regular, once a week or once a fortnight is very poor. Every day is good morning and evening every day is better still :good:

Ah, forget the pen they soon learn about being in it. Get it out among the game, if it ignoors the wistle rollock it fetch it back to the exact spot and look staight at it and blow again forcing it to sit. Sooner or later it will get the message and in time will sit to flush without the wistle. Always make a fuss of it in some way when it does it right though :good:

Do it real regular, once a week or once a fortnight is very poor. Every day is good morning and evening every day is better still :good:

Great if you have game that you can go & flush every morning & night. Game that will stay in an area so you know exactly where it is. Game that some keeper doesn't mind you coursing after every day!!

It will get hte message sooner or later & you might well be kicked of the shoot you're working on :P

Great if you have game that you can go & flush every morning & night. Game that will stay in an area so you know exactly where it is. Game that some keeper doesn't mind you coursing after every day!!

It will get hte message sooner or later & you might well be kicked of the shoot you're working on :P

To train a dog you need game and ground its just a fact. Once a fortnight just won't cut it, sorry to say it but its true an odd trip to a pen is near useless. if you have problems in this regards work on finding somewere it needent be gamebirds dizzied pigeons or Rabbits on waste ground etc will do, think it through there are always solutions.

To train a dog you need game and ground its just a fact. Once a fortnight just won't cut it, sorry to say it but its true an odd trip to a pen is near useless. if you have problems in this regards work on finding somewere it needent be gamebirds dizzied pigeons or Rabbits on waste ground etc will do, think it through there are always solutions.

Fully agree Kent, but there so many out there who either don't have access to game or aren't prepared to go find it.

I'm not over run with game on my training ground but I have a small pigeon loft, I pay to use a pen on a weekly basis. I travel 200 mile round trip to shoot weekly etc.

Unless your lucky you need to put some effort in

Fully agree Kent, but there so many out there who either don't have access to game or aren't prepared to go find it.

I'm not over run with game on my training ground but I have a small pigeon loft, I pay to use a pen on a weekly basis. I travel 200 mile round trip to shoot weekly etc.

Unless your lucky you need to put some effort in

Ok i am very fortunate having ground and game here on hand. We should all think twice before we aquire a gundog were we shal train it prior to purchase.