.243 deer round?

Ballie

I was thinking that myself, but in reality the 5.56 Nato round wasn’t meant to kill the enemy, only to cause wounding.

So at 600yds it would be very ineffectual against man-sized targets, although it would cause severe wounding.

Yes it could kill, but that isn’t it’s original purpose.

G.M.

Cartridge size Bullet .....weight ......Velocity .........Energy

NATO 5.56 × 45 mm 3.95–5.18 g 930–772 m/s 1,700–1,830 J

The 5.56 × 45 mm NATO cartridge with the standard military ball bullet (NATO: SS109; U.S.: M855) will penetrate approximately 15 to 20 inches (380 to 500 mm) into soft tissue in ideal circumstances. As with all spitzer shaped projectiles it is prone to yaw in soft tissue. However, at impact velocities above roughly 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s), it will yaw and then fragment at the cannelure (the groove around the cylinder of the bullet). The fragments disperse through the flesh causing much more internal injury. The effectiveness of fragmentation seems to impart much greater damage to tissue than bullet dimensions and velocities would suggest.

NB that is with FMJ not Expanding ammunition

I would not fancy my chances of living after a chest shot even at 600m but you are right to a degree that a wounded man takes 3 men off of the battle field or atleast it used to.

The point I was making if the army deams it to have enough power to drop a man at 600m (efective fire) then a slightly lighter load at sub 200m is surely going to have no problems with a small deer and many people in scotland have prooved this to be the case.

Dave

Baillie,

I am surprised to find out that in Scotland you can use 55 grain bullets and .222 cal at roe deer, personally I feel this is too light and too small a cal especiallyl as most of your Scottish deer will be taken at range

For roe deer the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds.

Don't underestimate the power of these .22 centerfires, I use a 22-250 55g softpoint and it will expand and exit a Roe's chest well past the 250 yards I limit myself to.

Mark.