how do i shoot with both eyes open!!!

rabbit killer

ive been shooting for about 4 years now and always shot with one eye closed. its more a habit than anything but recently have been told that i will miss noend by this method. what is the easiest way of getting used to shooting with both eyes open as at the moment i can see the whole side of the gun when i mount it with both eyes? HELP!!!

OMG just had to reply to this, having read two pages of excuses, here's the facts, some may find them painful, unfortunately there is no easy cure. If the Lord has deemed that you have a right master eye, the gun has to be mounted on the right shoulder and, in consequence, the right eye sits down the rib line of your gun. If you are left eye dominant, then the gun has to be shot from the left shoulder, obviously leaving the left eye looking down the rib of the gun. To shoot with a shotgun you require both eyes open. If you disagree with this, try catching a ball with one eye closed, or driving a car. Can it be done? Obviously, yes and many do, however, just imagine just how good these one eyed shooters would be if they used both eyes. Is there any merit in these shooting aids - easy hit and dots? Yes, there is, it allows weak people who will not change to the other shoulder an opportunity to shoot slightly better than they were previously however, if you wish to do the job properly, change shoulders. Is there an easy route? No. Can you buy a solution? No. Sorry, the truth hurts.

Regards, Sage

OMG just had to reply to this, having read two pages of excuses, here's the facts, some may find them painful, unfortunately there is no easy cure. If the Lord has deemed that you have a right master eye, the gun has to be mounted on the right shoulder and, in consequence, the right eye sits down the rib line of your gun. If you are left eye dominant, then the gun has to be shot from the left shoulder, obviously leaving the left eye looking down the rib of the gun. To shoot with a shotgun you require both eyes open. If you disagree with this, try catching a ball with one eye closed, or driving a car. Can it be done? Obviously, yes and many do, however, just imagine just how good these one eyed shooters would be if they used both eyes. Is there any merit in these shooting aids - easy hit and dots? Yes, there is, it allows weak people who will not change to the other shoulder an opportunity to shoot slightly better than they were previously however, if you wish to do the job properly, change shoulders. Is there an easy route? No. Can you buy a solution? No. Sorry, the truth hurts.

Regards, Sage

At least someone is talking sensibly.

How do

best thing is you are prob focusing too much on the point of your gun than the prey your after. ( common thing to do ) like the others have said make sure your cast on your gun is correct and as long as it comes up square every time and you naturally see strait down the barrels why you looking at them. A lot of us coaches do an old trick of taking the beed out as to take that focus point away. OLD saying watching the end of your barrel is not following your bird.

Get yourself used to focus on the bird, following through and take your shot ensuring your eye does not leave the bird until you know it is hit.

Hope this is of some help

P

ive been shooting for about 4 years now and always shot with one eye closed. its more a habit than anything but recently have been told that i will miss noend by this method. what is the easiest way of getting used to shooting with both eyes open as at the moment i can see the whole side of the gun when i mount it with both eyes? HELP!!!

Regards, Sage

Regards, Sage

Well andy "the crowman" Crow doesnt seem to do too bad with on eye closed ;)

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/180480-pigeonshooting-gundog-pups-and-how-to-be-a-better-person/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

Keep your eyes peeled as he pops out the hide to take a shot at about 3:20 in, he definatly closes his left eye :good:

Regards, Sage

Whilst I do agree shooting with both eyes open is the best option, changing shoulders is not the only choice or always the best cure.

Eye dominance can change with age, tiredness mid shoot, in some cases you can have central vision or a dominance that switches depending on which eye picks up the target first.

How do I know, I was strongly left eye dominant and right handed, due to racing bikes all my life and a race injury my left shoulder does not like shooting 100 clays and I did shoot left handed for some time to know this fact.

I tried all the solutions & for me training my brain to change dominance was the best option. I accept most will not stick at the mental exercises needed to train the brain to switch so understand it’s not for everyone. However, during my training process I experienced central vision and switching dominance which people can suffer from.

If you have these problems then changing shoulders is useless and you need use the gizmos or train your brain to reaffirm dominance.

The trouble is there is no easy cure for eye dominance issues and what will cure one person will not cure the other.

If I had not smashed my left shoulder in I would be shooting left handed and agreeing with you.

Having gone through the various stages of eye dominance I can tell you it’s not always as easy as just changing shoulders and the gizmos or dimming an eye can be the best option for certain people.

I am now right eyed dominant, right handed with no gizmos but I understand the process I went through and unless you suffer the problem and see through the shooters eyes it’s difficult to condemn the gizmos or the dimming of an eye.

:good:

Edited by timps