Introducing my V to hunting

andy198712

Hi all,

My Vizsla is 7 months old and i'm wondering what the best way to introduce him to hunting is? i'd like him to point and retrieve.

he already points at things on walks and stalks the jack russel around the house ;)

i've taken him out on an eve with a mate and he walked around with us on lead, introduced him to rabbits which was a bit heavy for him it seemed at the o (used to lighter toys) and he was interested in it, mostly sniffing and the odd lick....

so just after advice on where to start really?

he does sit, stay, OK (release word) down, fetch. will sit while i throw a toy and wait till i say OK to get it ect...

Whats are your tips and hints?

he didnt mind the moderated gun at all really, thinking a blank firer to get him used to louder gun shot ect...

Cheers

Andy

My advice is don't start HPR training until sit and recall are 100% then do a bit of everything.

Don't just concentrate on any one aspect but do a little of everything but keep up with the sit and recall all the time. If you do loads of recalls the dog will get fed up quickly.

If your new to gundog training then you would do well to find a good HPR trainer and have some lessons or buy a good book.

The key points I would say are don't rush it and keep revisiting the basics.

Harry

The most important bit (the stop wistle) without this you are all at sea. 7 mnths sounds way to young for you to have the basics well in hand in high stress situations BTW. Steady on point is what you should be looking for otherwise you can get a "flash pointer" that has rushed onto the flush before the gun gets close enough for a shot. You need help and prefferably an experianced HPR man to see you through this stage and to ***** if the foundations are firm enough IMO. Get this wrong and you have a long range spaniel or a coursing dog :good:

My advice is don't start HPR training until sit and recall are 100% then do a bit of everything.

Don't just concentrate on any one aspect but do a little of everything but keep up with the sit and recall all the time. If you do loads of recalls the dog will get fed up quickly.

If your new to gundog training then you would do well to find a good HPR trainer and have some lessons or buy a good book.

The key points I would say are don't rush it and keep revisiting the basics.

Harry

cheers harry, some sound advice, i think it'll just take time and some age on him to be perfect in high stress situations, or when there are lots of stimuli.....

The most important bit (the stop wistle) without this you are all at sea. 7 mnths sounds way to young for you to have the basics well in hand in high stress situations BTW. Steady on point is what you should be looking for otherwise you can get a "flash pointer" that has rushed onto the flush before the gun gets close enough for a shot. You need help and prefferably an experianced HPR man to see you through this stage and to ***** if the foundations are firm enough IMO. Get this wrong and you have a long range spaniel or a coursing dog :good:

Cheers bud,

see i dont use a stop whistle, is this something i really should be training into him then? i guess it will grab his attention better then a vocal command.

i agree, he doesnt point for long at the minute.

i've heard of a gun dog trainer about 40 minutes drive from me, so might be worth a word to see what he thinks of it.

see at the minute he does like to run ahead a good bit, keeps looking back and if i hide he comes running to find me ;)

i think my next proper step is to see what advice i get from a trainer. and invest in a stop whistle i think.

the whole age argument, one point of view i've thought of is that if you let them get older, they can slip into bad traits and that could be almost impossible? to remove.....

i guess some training would be good to give you some foundations on what to work on till hes fully grown.

thank you for the advice guys, always good to get some other peoples advice and opinions on it.

Cheers

Andy

A whistle only costs a few quid. 1 blast is what most people use to make the dog stop.

That is the most important command you will ever teach your dog. When it shops make sure it's *** does not move an inch until you tell it to.

If you don't use a whistle you will get a sore throat out with the dog shooting for the day. The whistle carries a lot further and wont disturb game anywhere near as much as voice commands.

Don't worry about the HPR training until the basics are there. You will be able to pick up the gundog stuff as the dog gets older but if you start before you have proper control of the dog you will have a nightmare.

got ya, are we talking about those silent dog whistles that we cant really hear?

i take it thats taught on a long training lead ect?

Listen, unless you want to spoil it get to a good trainer ASAP. without being rude it sounds as you might just lack the basic knoledge of what your trying to achieve and how to go about it. The stop wistle is not a magic gadget you buy at the shops

hi a lot of handlers prefer the Acme 210.5 whistle and use the following

1 pip/blast to stop / sit the dog either at your side or at a distance

2 pips to turn the dog when hunting

multi pips to recall

it doesnt matter which whistle commands you decide to use for your dog so long as you are consistant in training them.

have a look at myfastforumhpr you will also see lots of HPR advise there.

also see if the GSP club run any training in your area, they have sections across the country i live in cheshire and train with NW branch

good luck with your Vizsla

jan

Listen, unless you want to spoil it get to a good trainer ASAP. without being rude it sounds as you might just lack the basic knoledge of what your trying to achieve and how to go about it. The stop wistle is not a magic gadget you buy at the shops

its not rude, i know i'm lacking, thus the thread :)

i took him to some puppy classes but they seemed a **** tbh.... the teacher was good but Ruben (my v) was easily ahead of the others, i mean on his first lesson the teacher was using him as the example dog of how to do stuff (Ruben either not having done it before or only shown once) although i must enquire about 1-2-1 lessons with her i think.

IMO a whistle is like another verbal command, ei one pip the same as saying stop, or thats how the dog should comprehend it. the advantage is the fequencey stands out more then the human voice especial in such high stress situations.

its not rude, i know i'm lacking, thus the thread :)

i took him to some puppy classes but they seemed a **** tbh.... the teacher was good but Ruben (my v) was easily ahead of the others, i mean on his first lesson the teacher was using him as the example dog of how to do stuff (Ruben either not having done it before or only shown once) although i must enquire about 1-2-1 lessons with her i think.

IMO a whistle is like another verbal command, ei one pip the same as saying stop, or thats how the dog should comprehend it. the advantage is the fequencey stands out more then the human voice especial in such high stress situations.

You need a gundog trainer with HPR experiance. 30 lunatics in the village hall and some dog nut is only a waste of time and money, indeed it can be damaging as the pup will learn more bad stuff than good

You need a gundog trainer with HPR experiance. 30 lunatics in the village hall and some dog nut is only a waste of time and money, indeed it can be damaging as the pup will learn more bad stuff than good

:lol: nicely put.

i'm hours from the nearest GSP group sadly, but have emailed them and waiting to hear about any people they recommend local to me.

i been chatting with a local trainer for some 1-2-1 lessons to get the basics nailed in which should be good.

also buying the book, the complete gundog which is ment to be good also :good:

Acme 210.5 whistle. You can get them from gunshops, coutrywide stores or online. Get a copy of the versatile gundog or one of the other recommended hpr books from amazon. Most of the books are the same for the basics of training.

Harry

got ya, thank you :)

hi a lot of handlers prefer the Acme 210.5 whistle and use the following

1 pip/blast to stop / sit the dog either at your side or at a distance

2 pips to turn the dog when hunting

multi pips to recall

it doesnt matter which whistle commands you decide to use for your dog so long as you are consistant in training them.

have a look at myfastforumhpr you will also see lots of HPR advise there.

also see if the GSP club run any training in your area, they have sections across the country i live in cheshire and train with NW branch

good luck with your Vizsla

jan

cheers, the clubs look good and the southwest one looks good but tis hours from me :(

:lol: nicely put.

i'm hours from the nearest GSP group sadly, but have emailed them and waiting to hear about any people they recommend local to me.

i been chatting with a local trainer for some 1-2-1 lessons to get the basics nailed in which should be good.

also buying the book, the complete gundog which is ment to be good also :good:

Welcome to the reality of HPR's if you had a lab there would be 1/2 dozen people within an hour :yes: