Question on rifles

Mike Connally

Here's a question from across the pond. I have seen photos posted here of rifles with what looks like a silencer or suppresor on the barrel. Is this required in the UK? Here in the states it would be illegal and ,in any event, unwanted. Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious. I'm new to this site and find the differences and similarities in our shooting cultures fascinating.

There is no licence needed for rifles producing 12 ft/lbs or less so anyone can put on a suppressor. Anything with more power will need a licence and any suppressor willl need to be included on the licence. PCP rifles produce a loud crack and will spook quarry at air rifle ranges and a suppressor will reduce the sound to almost nothing.

hi mike yes we do fit silencers or moderators it not a must but some forces are starting to ask if we will fit them .you say you dont want them why ??? there are some realy good plus points to haveing one fitted reduced noise so you could get multi kills on say foxes(i have shot the vixen and five cubs in one sitting as have many others on here ) rather than one boom and everything for 2 miles goes into hiding for a week :lol::lol: .

theres very little recoil so you can watch the round strike the target with ease and everyone for three miles plus doesnt kow what your up to .very good on hearing too no having to ware ear defenders when shooting targes or quarry

as they say on this side of the pond dont knock it till you have tryed it :lol::lol::lol:

atb andy

Edited by cocker3

hi mike yes we do fit silencers or moderators it not a must but some forces are starting to ask if we will fit them .you say you dont want them why ??? there are some realy good plus points to haveing one fitted reduced noise so you could get multi kills on say foxes(i have shot the vixen and five cubs in one sitting as have many others on here ) rather than one boom and everything for 2 miles goes into hiding for a week :lol::lol: .

theres very little recoil so you can watch the round strike the target with ease and everyone for three miles plus doesnt kow what your up to .very good on hearing too no having to ware ear defenders when shooting targes or quarry

as they say on this side of the pond dont knock it till you have tryed it :lol::lol::lol:

atb andy

I'm not knocking it, just trying to understand. Silencers cannot be used here. They are illegal. In the 30's, they were used by gangsters to to silence their murder weapons and were outlawed as a gangster weapon. Noise isn't generally a problem here while hunting. There are millions of acres of public hunting land and neighbors aren't normally a problem.

It also seems that some people are hunting with air rifles. Is this common? Are they effective at long range?

I'm not knocking it, just trying to understand. Silencers cannot be used here. They are illegal. In the 30's, they were used by gangsters to to silence their murder weapons and were outlawed as a gangster weapon. Noise isn't generally a problem here while hunting. There are millions of acres of public hunting land and neighbors aren't normally a problem.

It also seems that some people are hunting with air rifles. Is this common? Are they effective at long range?

well mike if you have never been to glasgow gangsters still use them there :lol::lol: :lol:i think if you tryed a mod on your rifle you would never want to be with out one . as for air rifles mostly are used for rabbits ,rats ,pigeons and small vermin but have a range of about 40 yards ish some even further pcp air rifles are very good and quite too not used air rifles my self in a few years but am sure there will be someone along shortly to fill in the bits i have missed

atb andy

Edited by cocker3

I see a lot of US info that suggests they aren't illegal everywhere, different states with different regs. If they are illegal Where you are that's a shame - the benefit of lower recoil and less noise is more marked than you'd think without trying it.

Yes, people do hunt small critters with air rifles, that's because a proper gun is so hard to get hold of. Range is 40 yards or so max, apart from some higher powered air rifles which need a license.