steady to flush

perron

hello all, i have a 10 month old cocker bitch (1st dog i have tried to train) that is coming on very well, i have got her doing most things reasonably well, but the only thing i am struggling with is her chasing game. i can walk her to heel while there are pheasents, rabbits, running around close by and she wont run after them and she has flushed pheasents out of cover (flying) i blow the stop whistle and she stops, but if something jumps up next to her and runs she will chase it and blowing the stop whistle does not work, i will keep blowing the whistle and shout at her to stop and she will turn and come back to me (after running after it for 30-40yrds) with her head down knowing shes done wrong. what can i do to get her to stop on flush?

cheers, perron

hello all, i have a 10 month old cocker bitch (1st dog i have tried to train) that is coming on very well, i have got her doing most things reasonably well, but the only thing i am struggling with is her chasing game. i can walk her to heel while there are pheasents, rabbits, running around close by and she wont run after them and she has flushed pheasents out of cover (flying) i blow the stop whistle and she stops, but if something jumps up next to her and runs she will chase it and blowing the stop whistle does not work, i will keep blowing the whistle and shout at her to stop and she will turn and come back to me (after running after it for 30-40yrds) with her head down knowing shes done wrong. what can i do to get her to stop on flush?

cheers, perron

at 10 months old, she is IMO a little young to be expected to be steady to game anyway, is there any trainers nearby who have a rabbit pen you could use, this way you could control the situation and pre empt a flush and get out there after her when she does chase and bring her back to the point of flush and give her a few sharp blasts of the stop whistle, a few goes at this within a short period should go along way to her understanding what you are asking of her?

I will go with t jack on the too young thing. Basics are the building blocks that all else is built on and the stop wistle is not yet rock solid. Without wanting to sound rude 10mnths and your first go at a gundog i would serious doubt its ready for the real thing- back to basics before you make things worse IMO. Before you try again get a pro to agree the dogs actually ready for it as we all have higher opinions of our dogs than we maybee should :good:

cheers, perron

Mate, if she is only doing most things reasonably well, she will struggle with most things.

Edited by straightbarrel

Mate, if she is only doing most things reasonably well, she will struggle with most things.

hello mate,it sounds like the way i wrote my first post that you are thinking i have probably rushed her through her training, the only reason i said the word "reasonably" is because i did not want to say she does things perfectly, because at 10 months old she's still gona make the odd little mistake, but i have got her walking to heel, she comes back straight away to recall, stops on the whistle everytime, jumps on command, is quartering very well, i can send her out for a blind retrive and guide her in (left, right, get back), but as i say she is not perfect, sometimes she may drift a little on heel and i have to remind her, she may go out a little bit far sometimes while quartering, but will turn on the whistle.

anyway i am going to keep doing all of the above with her for a while and take her to places she is not going to flush game out, and then i am going to book a few sessions for her in a rabbit pen and see how she goes from there.

thanks for the replies, perron

hello mate,it sounds like the way i wrote my first post that you are thinking i have probably rushed her through her training, the only reason i said the word "reasonably" is because i did not want to say she does things perfectly, because at 10 months old she's still gona make the odd little mistake, but i have got her walking to heel, she comes back straight away to recall, stops on the whistle everytime, jumps on command, is quartering very well, i can send her out for a blind retrive and guide her in (left, right, get back), but as i say she is not perfect, sometimes she may drift a little on heel and i have to remind her, she may go out a little bit far sometimes while quartering, but will turn on the whistle.

anyway i am going to keep doing all of the above with her for a while and take her to places she is not going to flush game out, and then i am going to book a few sessions for her in a rabbit pen and see how she goes from there.

thanks for the replies, perron

No mate, after reading the post again and thinking about it, I thought you were probably being modest.

Is it worth steadying her a bit more with maybe a mate firing dummies around her with you in close on her, so if she shows any signs of moving you can correct her? Or back to basics with the steadiness stuff, sitting the dog up and you stand between her and the object you throw for her to retrieve, once thrown, send her then whistle her to stop before she gets past you on the way to the retrieve, if she does'nt plonk her backside down on the whistle, she is within grasp, take her back to the spot you blew her to stop and sit her back up then repeat. I would only be tempted to take the dog anywhere near a pen if the dog was 100% on this.

No mate, after reading the post again and thinking about it, I thought you were probably being modest.

Is it worth steadying her a bit more with maybe a mate firing dummies around her with you in close on her, so if she shows any signs of moving you can correct her? Or back to basics with the steadiness stuff, sitting the dog up and you stand between her and the object you throw for her to retrieve, once thrown, send her then whistle her to stop before she gets past you on the way to the retrieve, if she does'nt plonk her backside down on the whistle, she is within grasp, take her back to the spot you blew her to stop and sit her back up then repeat. I would only be tempted to take the dog anywhere near a pen if the dog was 100% on this.

i think you could be right mate, i will start with her tomorrow with thowing the dummy with me inbetween one and get her rock solid on that.

i am in no rush to get her in the rabbit pen, she will go there when i think she is ready.

cheers mate, perron