2nd go at clay shooting

Stratts

Hi guys I went to a local clay club this morning that uses my bosses land twice a month to try out my recently acquired Baikal.

It's an over under single trigger with half & 3/4 chokes and from what some folk were saying as a beginner I might struggle a bit so wasn't expecting much tbh. But I think I did ok with 16 out of 25 busted :good: Couldn't stay longer coz I had the kids.

1st trap 3 from 5 shots looping from right fairly slowly which I thought I'd do better on.

2nd trap 6 from 10 shots 1st quite quick from back right, next coming at me from front right in the distance.

3rd trap 7 from 10 shots 1st rabbit from right, next going away quick from behind left. Well pleased with these as they are supposedly the hardest shots and I missed the last 3!!!

Be good next time to go alone and spend more time shooting and getting advice from the others but overall a decent start I reckon :D

I can see this shotgunning lark getting addictive :hmm:

Will do mate I was happy with that as a 1st attempt and the last 3 shots were just me getting excited coz I got the 1st 7 out of 10 in that trap. Could quite easily have been 19 from 25 shots :good:

Well done and ignore everything you hear about chokes, well not everything but you get the gist. You can't talk about chokes without also including the specific cartridge and load. Change the cartridge and you could get a different choke effect without changing the choke of the barrel. Swap guns and the same choke can give a different result and so on .... and so on...

The big problem with clay shooting is that breaking the clay is the measure of success. When you start you don't know if you are breaking it with a few pellets on the edge of the pattern or are within the bulk of the pattern (unless you powder it or get a nice even break). If you miss the clay with wide chokes then you are way off the mark and that needs to be sorted first. If you miss with tighter chokes folks will blame the choke. With either set-up you are still chucking out over a 30" circle of shot at 30 yds. So miss with either and you are still off the mark. I see you also own section 1's - I doubt you'd accept being 30" off at 30 yds :oops:

Clays are great fun but can be bloody frustrating. You'll turn up next week thinking "I can do this one" and then miss the lot. For sporting clays get your gun mount consistent, understand the target and don't beat yourself up when you miss - it happens ......... and leave those chokes alone.

Thanks mate I have to leave the chokes alone theey are fixed, unless I pay to get em opened up which aint gonna happen!! Yeah more of a rifle shooter and I don't accept 3" over 100 yards tbh and I get your meaning. It'll be intersting to see what happens the next few times I go and I'm gonna try patterning when i get chance too. :good: