jetboil

bi9johnny

I'd have to totally disagree, in my experience Trangias are a design marvel and do a fantastic job and a bottle of meths lasts ages and is a good deal cheaper than gas. Had the same one since I did D of E 20 years ago, still take it camping every year.

Once you've got the hang of them they are the nuts :good:

Not everybody has the knack.

I've got one, wish they were available when I was in the forces!

Boils quickly and with minimal fuss or bother. My only concerns with them is that the lighting element doesn't seem that solid and if I was going out in the field for a few weeks, I wouldn't depend on one as my only source of hot water, where as I would be more confident doing so with a trangia.

I feel I need to justify my answer on the trangia. Bear in mind it is generally a matter of taste and/or different kit for different situations. As I said, I have about 8 various cooking systems. They all serve their purpose given the condition and individual situation. My trangia is well worn and has seen lots of use.

Primarily, the jetboil is a means to boil water and that is what it does best and most efficiently. However, this then opens up the possibilites for boil-in-the bag and some basic reheating of foods.

Jetboil will boil 1/2 litre of water in about 2 minutes. The trangia will take 2 minutes to set up, then take longer to boil. The heat on the jetboil can be adjusted fully and with ease. The trangia is either on or off...or you burn your fingers trying to vary it. The jetboil gas canister nests into the container, creating an all-in-one solution - you only then need to carry/source water. The trangia (with individual components) is heavier, bigger amd more cumbersome. Then you need to carry fuel and water separately. When you finish with the jetboil, you switch it off and pack it up. When you finish using the trangia, you either wait until it burns out. You risk a face full of meths by blowing it out, or burning your fingers closing the lid. You then have to dispose of the excess fuel or wait for it to cool. Gas cans are easy to find most places... but fair enough, meths may be easier to source.

I will still use the trangia in certain situations. But, I use the jetboil more frequently as it is quick and efficient.

If I get time, I will do a side-by-side demo of the two.

I was bored.

Jetboil:

Trangua;

A quality production huff huff :good:

You not got the kettle with your trangia set then fella? :lol:

The jet boils obviously a good bit of kit but it is just a water boiler. You obviously know your systems and I'm not going to bang on.

Me just lovem dem trangia

I just love fire mainly!

Don't have the kettle anymore...slight mishap with it boiling dry on a fire :) I could have put a lid on both I suppose but it was a rush job, bit of faffing.

I made a small pressure Stove out of two coke cans a while back, it's actually amazing. I'll take a vid over weekend if I can find it :)

Quite a while as you can fill that can quite a lot. I've cooked a fry up on it before, then cups of tea after that no probs.

I've taken it out at moment, but I have a wad of fibreglass insulation that goes in there to soak up fluid and make a bit more stable in transport.

Its a top invention, is it home grown?

Google 'penny stove' for instructions on the different models (one type has a double wall as an example). I just like how simple it is. Great for back packers and just travelling light :)

Plus I like making **** :)

I think it took about 30 minutes if you include the hassle and faff of trying to get the two cans nested together.

I didn't like the pressure on the first one I mad so have about 4 at various stages and varying designs.

Edited by huffhuff

Google 'penny stove' for instructions on the different models (one type has a double wall as an example). I just like how simple it is. Great for back packers and just travelling light :)

Plus I like making **** :)

I think it took about 30 minutes if you include the hassle and faff of trying to get the two can nested together.

I'm all over this one like a bad rash. I'm going to make a Fray Bentos version, might have to joggle to get a good fit but reckon it will go like stink!!