What a day on the woodies

michael milton

Hi all,well what a day.It started of with calling around at Deanos for a cuppa and a chat,this included to go out with the air rifles to one of my permissions for some pigeons and squirrels.

The farm is about 120 acres of arable and about 100 acres of marshland that runs down to the estuary. The farm has a small oak woodland 200x50 mtrs,and this was our place to go and wait for the pigeons.

As we got near to the woods there was loads of pigeons flying out, as we have no cover to help us to get to the wood,plus the sun was bright with very little wind(not the best pigeon conditions)

We got to the wood and i set about putting out two full body decoys,Deano got himself settled at one side of the woods and i settled about 40 mtrs to the other side of the decoys.

After about half a hour Deano went for a walk through the woods and soon had himself a squirrel,then the weather started to change the wind picked up and it started to cloud over,we settled back in our hiding places in antisipation for the pigeons,no sooner had we settled,a sparrow hawk came into the decoys landed in a tree,had another look at the decoys and then flew away.

Then the pigeons started to come in,the decoys worked well bringing the pigeons into the trees all around use,Deano and myself had some good sport with some very good shots,squeezing some pellets through tight branches,i could hear Deanos Webley Fx2000 .22 and then a heavy thud as his pigeons was hitting the ground,i was using my Air arms S410 and am sure that Deano could hear the same thing.

We ended up with nine pigeons,the sparrow hawk came back and helped its self to one of our pigeons,so eight woodie and a squirrel,in about 2 hours.

thanks Deano for your company and the pigeons,iou a pigeon pie.

Mick

Hi all,well what a day.It started of with calling around at Deanos for a cuppa and a chat,this included to go out with the air rifles to one of my permissions for some pigeons and squirrels.

The farm is about 120 acres of arable and about 100 acres of marshland that runs down to the estuary. The farm has a small oak woodland 200x50 mtrs,and this was our place to go and wait for the pigeons.

As we got near to the woods there was loads of pigeons flying out, as we have no cover to help us to get to the wood,plus the sun was bright with very little wind(not the best pigeon conditions)

We got to the wood and i set about putting out two full body decoys,Deano got himself settled at one side of the woods and i settled about 40 mtrs to the other side of the decoys.

After about half a hour Deano went for a walk through the woods and soon had himself a squirrel,then the weather started to change the wind picked up and it started to cloud over,we settled back in our hiding places in antisipation for the pigeons,no sooner had we settled,a sparrow hawk came into the decoys landed in a tree,had another look at the decoys and then flew away.

Then the pigeons started to come in,the decoys worked well bringing the pigeons into the trees all around use,Deano and myself had some good sport with some very good shots,squeezing some pellets through tight branches,i could hear Deanos Webley Fx2000 .22 and then a heavy thud as his pigeons was hitting the ground,i was using my Air arms S410 and am sure that Deano could hear the same thing.

We ended up with nine pigeons,the sparrow hawk came back and helped its self to one of our pigeons,so eight woodie and a squirrel,in about 2 hours.

thanks Deano for your company and the pigeons,iou a pigeon pie.

Mick

Well done mate :good:

good shooting for airifles some of us on here would struggle with a shotty for that score and its

lovely to see sparrow hawk helping himself lol

I have them come down on one of the farms when I shoot over my decoys, I should take a camera really.

Regards

Alan