what do chokes do on shotguns

Allow me to take this one....

Do not worry about chokes at all. Choke talk is talk of Scotch Mist. Everything you want to know about chokes but were afraid to ask can be found here http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2c.shotguns.htm and here http://www.thegun.co.uk/clays16.htm#h

Stick in 1/4 (for first barrel) and 1/2 (for second barrel) and then leave them well alone.

When you get your gun you will take great pleasure in out shooting people with guns perhaps ten times more expensive than yours and with barrels filled with all manner of brightly filled protruding chokes. You will also listen intently to all manner of ******** as to why certain shots were missed because of the wrong brightly filled protruding choke being used for the clay in question....

you have basically the most open choke you can get in both barrels.

So your chances of hitting close range birds are very good. But your pattern might be a little spread out on those 90yard crossing crows :lol:

A good choke to start with :lol:

My advice, as long as the gun hasnt got more than 1/2 choke (so no 3/4 or full) dont worry about the chokes, they dont make as much difference as people would like to think.

it depends if your gun is fixed choke or multi choke.

If it is listed as having cylinder and cylinder i would expect it to be fixed choke.

You can have fixed choke changed, but you can only have the chokes made looser (so you couldnt have anything done to cylinder)

mungler, your such a bad lad for the choke companies, were you one of those changelings and got caught up in the world of "with all manner of brightly filled protruding chokes" swapping this for that only to become part of the fit and forget brigade now :no:???:lol:

seriously though, i know what you mean about the continued saga of choke choice, myself i've found the formula that works in my guns and they stay till i service them.

as to young/ new shooters , im a firm beleiver in open choke to encourage sucsess, it makes me mad when i see new shooters spoilt by idiots who think its funny to load them up with fulls when they have no idea how to shoot :good: , help a new shooter be positive and encouraging, they are as we know the future of our sport :)

Martin