Maxus sporting carbon. new to shooting.......

N1ck8

Hi i have just got my shotgun licence and have ordered a maxus sporting in carbon (effect). I am new to shooting but have shot a few clays and rough in the past with friends guns but never a semi auto.

I am looking for peoples views on using this gun for clays but 80% rough. What choke would you use for general use while trying to get used to the gun.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers Nick

Edited by N1ck8

Nice gun. Put a 1/4 choke in it and leave the rest in the case. Don't even worry about changing it.

Get used to shooting it and don't worry about chokes.

Welcome to the forum !

Thanks for your help, this looks to be a great Site/Forum :)

I have a Maxus Hunter and it's lovely. You made a good choice in the MAxus and it'll perform just fine on clays or whatever you point it at.

I started out with half choke in mine but have recently changed to quarter. Not much difference in my scores...yet, but I'd say go with quarter, there won't be many clays that'll need much more.

I have a Maxus Hunter and it's lovely. You made a good choice in the MAxus and it'll perform just fine on clays or whatever you point it at.

I started out with half choke in mine but have recently changed to quarter. Not much difference in my scores...yet, but I'd say go with quarter, there won't be many clays that'll need much more.

Hi do you know the differences between hunter and sporting model other than the carbon look?

Other than the finish, I don't know the specific differences no, but from a quick look, it's minimal.

From new, with no cleaning I shot a round of 50 28g 7.5 clay shells and then tried some 21g shells, all of which cycled just fine. :) YMMV of course but you should be fine with anything down to at least 24g as long as the case length is 67mm.

this is a superb gun that will last you a life time, it's Top quality and no better semi auto on the market today, one thing to do WHEN you get it and BEFORE you shoot it is to take it home and strip it down with the help of the owners manual, Browning put a waxy type oily grease on their semi's that needs to be removed before shootin, this is one reason many semi autos jam and misfire, I use a can of spray brake cleaner on my guns from my Perazzi to my semi autos, just spray it on and wipe of the grease with kitchen roll when it all off give it one final spray holdin the stock upside down so that the brake cleaner runs out - make sure it's clear with no dirt and then leave for 2 minutes until it evaporates 100% dry, then a nice light spray with Brunox gun oil and again keep it upside down til it stops drippin of then a wee rub over with your gun cloth then rebuild and job done :good: I use this same procedure when cleanin my Maxus after shootin, One other thing I would do when you shoot it for the first time is to run a box of 30 or 32 grm shells through it and should should have no problems ever shooting light 24 & 21 grm loads ( I think this is recommended in the manual too)

All the best and good shootin

Very nice choice I think !, let us know how you get on with the `Carbon` As soon as I can save the pennies (lots of them :o !) thats what I`d like too.......

Have you gone for a 28" or a 30" ?

Also would be interested to know how well the `carbon effect finish` wears too (any longer term users?)

As others say above I`d stick Imp Cly / 1/4 in & forget about it ! - perfect for Sporting clays / deeking / roost shooting :)

There was a carbon effect one in the local shop when I was in there the other day..

I have to say it looks minging. But has a rubbery grippy feel which was surprising nice.

Either way enjoy it. Love mine. Only thing mine wont do is cycle short carts so get yourself some Express English Sporter (70mm). Good price with good feedback.

Oh and to add I stuck half choke in mine and haven't changed it.

Edited by danb21t

I went for the 28" as the autos are long enough for me..

i will keep you posted on how long the carbon effect last's, but it will be going back if it starts to come off :)

the carbon is not to everyones taste but i like the Cynergy Black Ice too...!!

Thanks for everyones help/comments

Other than the finish, I don't know the specific differences no, but from a quick look, it's minimal.

From new, with no cleaning I shot a round of 50 28g 7.5 clay shells and then tried some 21g shells, all of which cycled just fine. :) YMMV of course but you should be fine with anything down to at least 24g as long as the case length is 67mm.

Yep, same as mine. :good: