arctic hares

aister

i took today off work as i promised to take two friends that are up from the south of england out for a walk on the hills for a hare or two. we went for a morning flight first mainly looking for geese, it was blowing a good gale 8 so we had high hopes but everything was out of range, either high over the top or way to wide. one single greylag came over me at a nice hight which i dropped nicely out in front, an easy retrieve for the hound. one thing i saw which brightened up the morning was two otters playing in the burn mouth 20-25 yards away, they soon cleared out when i fired at a teal going tail to wind, which i missed of course. after some breakfast we set out for the hills to look for some hares. within 5 minutes from the car we saw two but just out of range, after that we walked for a while before we saw any more. coming down the sheltered side of the hill i was the first one to get a hare, once he was safely retrieved by max (which was his first hare) we saw loads. dotted all around the hills you could see them white against the brown heather. we kept walking in a line 50 yards apart and after an hour of hard walking through the heather we had 5 hares in the bag. deciding between us that that was enough for 3 guns we headed back to the car. on the way back we saw plenty more. niether of my two friends had shot arctic hares before so they were well chuffed.

post-29954-0-88034300-1327939203.jpg max's first hares, bit of a mouthful for the wee dug.