.22 hornet-which rifle

aister

i had my mind set on a cz but my rfd has just got in a mint ruger, no more than 100 rounds through it, £600. can any of you help towards a decision, thanks in advance, aister :good:

Well, I'm no expert--I'm still feeling my way back into the Hornet after a long absence--but I've read a lot about the calibre in the past six months. Generally, I'd say it's not as popular as other makes.I've read about the chamber being too large on some individual rifles, the chamber sometimes being misaligned with the bore and a general dissatisfaction with the Ruger. But not in all cases. Overall, people seem to like the CZ the best, or old BSAs and the Weihrauch.If I was buying a new one I'd go for either of the Weihrauch models, only because I don't like the awkward magazine on CZ 527s.

If you're set on a CZ, why not wait a while.

There's a used CZ with a 16" barrel for sale on the Airgun BBS for about 400 quid. (nothing to do with me)It's in Kent.

Well, I'm no expert--I'm still feeling my way back into the Hornet after a long absence--but I've read a lot about the calibre in the past six months. Generally, I'd say it's not as popular as other makes.I've read about the chamber being too large on some individual rifles, the chamber sometimes being misaligned with the bore and a general dissatisfaction with the Ruger. But not in all cases. Overall, people seem to like the CZ the best, or old BSAs and the Weihrauch.If I was buying a new one I'd go for either of the Weihrauch models, only because I don't like the awkward magazine on CZ 527s.

If you're set on a CZ, why not wait a while.

There's a used CZ with a 16" barrel for sale on the Airgun BBS for about 400 quid. (nothing to do with me)It's in Kent.

im sure i read somewhere that cz had a way of guaranteeing a properly lined up chamber and bore but i cant remember where i saw it.

i had my mind set on a cz but my rfd has just got in a mint ruger, no more than 100 rounds through it, £600. can any of you help towards a decision, thanks in advance, aister :good:

You can get a brand new CZ for a tiny fraction more, forget the RRP its fiction. Rugers can have issues as the barrel is chambered as a sepparate process into a stock .223 blank- not always but often enough. If you search the net you will find a lot of tails of sorrow. Perhaps the past owner couldnt make it shoot. You also see a lot of Rugers K'd again an attempt to straighten things up via headspacing on a shoulder rather than the rim. HORNET must be consentric in both the assembled round and the chamber :good:

I love my CZ 527 Hornet. A great rifle!

I was put off by tales of woe about the Ruger. I believe the Ruger has a faster twist though, so would stabilise heavier bullets than the CZ. Mine doesnt like anything above 40 grain.

Yet mine loves 46 grn :yes: The twist rate is a red herring for its intended for 55 grn bullets in the Ruger- as it uses a stock .22 cf blank. The Hornet was origonally a re-chambered RF and hence retains the correct twist for 40-45 grn bullets.

Now heres one to consider the Ruger uses a rimfire action with an add on c/fire barrel- the CZ uses a dedicated c/f action