Rescue dog

stumpy69

Ive been offered a three year old ESS. She is a rescue dog but i dont know much about her yet except that she is good with other dogs. If i take her i would like to train her up to come out shooting with me but she would be my first gun dog. Would it be possible to train a dog of three up. I dont want to take her on to find i cant get her to work. I would have to give her up as i need a reasonable worknig dog and we already have 3 i think four would be the limit for us at home. Any advice?

Leave it for somebody to have as a pet.

I got a rescue dog last year, she's a cockerdor and she's great. I was very lucky and she had had quite a lot of what you would call gundog training but she will never be a proper gun dog. They say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but that isn't true. You can't unteach an old dog old tricks!! She runs in on shot and chases, but we only ever got her as a pet and I still love to take her out shooting as she loves it. I've just ordered a springer that will be my shooting dog.

Buy a part trained or puppy if you want a working dog.