Rechargeable batteries

The Sniper

Just on a side issue from the previous flapper topic.

When I first got my rotor last year I am sure my 12v 7amp batteries were going for about 2-3 hours.

Now I am lucky if they go for about 40minutes.

Anyone with any technical knowledge any ideas how I can tell if the battery has got past its sell by date ?

Plus I have often wondered if the rotor itself could be the problem, that is, does it need any sort of maintainance other than a bit of WD40 ?

This was a rotor bought from a reputable gun shop but it is definitely not a real magnet.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I use these batteries i let them go completly flat then leave them on slow charge for 48hrs.I was told that you can give them a memory if you let them go half flat then charge them.As for the rota i just give it a squirt of wd40 when it needs it (after ive used it in the rain)

Thanks for your replies gents. Anyone else got any thoughts ?

The charger I have , Neil, is the Deben trickle charger.

I recently bought a 12v 17ah battery, Deben make, and this only goes for 3 1/2 hours on the rotor.

I asked ernyha about servicing these rotors and was advised that the motor should have its own layer of grease inside and should not need maintaining. It is a continuing thought that I am having though, that the rotor is the problem.

Sniper

I use a 12v 17Ah batt for my rotor and it will keep the thing going for about two days. sad *** I am I tested it in my garden last year. I would be worried if your batt only lasts for such a short period.

My mate, who is one of these electronic gizzmo gadget wizard types told me these sealed batts we use do not like to be stored flat ie no power they last longer if you keep them fully charged. So what I do is use it then let it charge and then mark it on the calender when I need to charge it again for storage. Once a month seems to work ok up to now so once a month I charge all my batts and touch wood, do not seem to be having a problem with them. Even my lower rated batts for my rotor last longer than 3 1/2 hours.