Hello all.. First post. Dispatching Rabbits

mbga9pgf

Hello all... First post on here, although I am a long time lurker. I have hunted for a good few years (since a kid really); a recent move has allowed me to take up my old hobby, living next to a 300 acre permission. Also, luckily just been granted .22lr FAC and SGC, just waiting for a good bargain to get something a bit quieter.

Anyhow, back to the original topic, was out shooting this evening and managed to pot a beautiful buck (now soaking in salt water for lunch tmmrw :-) )

Before I took the shot, I noticed another pair. I managed to bag the buck with a between-the-eyes head shot at around 20 yards. (.22 super sport). Now normally, I would go straight over and pick it up, but as I had seen the shot hit through the scope and the typical leg twitch, no noise, dead as a doornail or as I thought, I left it hoping I would bag another of the pair I had saw earlier. Anyways, I go to pick the original quarry up after about 10 mins of waiting (no second), and it was still warm. I stretched its neck just to make sure, however, I am now interested in what others do. Do others chin immediately after "just to make sure", or would others be content to wait if they were sure they had put one between the eyes as I had?