Annealing

I am trying to source a Bench-Source Vertex annealing machine or similar. The company are in the USA and I am awaiting a response from them, however I am wondering if anyone knows of a UK distributor or indeed any other similar machine available here. I know that there are products to apply to the cases that change colour etc when the correct temperature has been reached, however I am after something that can be used automatically such as the Bench-Source Vertex annealing machine. Any help would be appreciated. Gary

I am trying to source a Bench-Source Vertex annealing machine or similar. The company are in the USA and I am awaiting a response from them, however I am wondering if anyone knows of a UK distributor or indeed any other similar machine available here. I know that there are products to apply to the cases that change colour etc when the correct temperature has been reached, however I am after something that can be used automatically such as the Bench-Source Vertex annealing machine. Any help would be appreciated. Gary

Hi Gary

As far as I know, no one is importing any of the automatic annealing machines into the UK although I do know you can order one directly from the US. They are not cheap by the time they get here with the shipping, vat and duty, say around the £500 mark. On top of this you will still need to provide one or two burners for another about £30- £80.

Even with an automatic machine you will also need some Temperature indicator for the first few cases to set the machine up. This is available from Midway UK at £22 + £8 shipping.

So £600 should get you up and running or you could go the cheaper route and get a Hornady kit, again from Midway, which has a couple of case holders that fit in an electric screwdriver and a bottle of temp liquid.

A what for a what. Sorry bud lost me.

An annealing machine is for softening the neck area of brass cases by heating them up in a gas flame. Once cases have been reloaded a few time the neck becomes work hardened, this makes them brittle and lead to split necks and variable neck tension effecting accuracy. With good quality brass cases now costing around a pound each it is worth looking after them.

You could try standing your cases in a bowl of water up to the depth of the neck of the case and then heat the exposed neck of the case with a gas blow lamp . Thats how it used to be done in the old days . £600 to soften rifle brass ,I ask you . You could buy a lot of new or once fired brass for 600 jim .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I thought about buying an annealing machine a year ago but unless you are mechanically minded, buying a machine is an expensive option given that cases for mid calibres are on average 60p a go.

Then I read on a forum how 2 people got together and managed it without any huge outlay. Anyway I (using the appropriate shell holder in my neck turning tool) had a go and consider my annealing (although somewhat slower than a automatic machine) is just as good. Judge for yourselves - here is the article

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11002

Peter