Supersport Mainspring

andy_s

I think it's time I had a go at changing the mainspring on my old supersport and giving it a general "tune up". I've never done this before though so does anyone know of a good guide of how to do this? I'm a design engineer so pretty confident with how things work and go together but would rather have an idea of what I'm doing before I start. Any info would be appreciated. And also any recommendations on what spring to fit, ox, titan, standard bsa?

thanks

andy.......

Well I changed the mainspring today and gave everything a good clean and re grease and put it back together. A bit more of a "twang" now but that's probably because of the lack of power from state I found the original spring in. I borrowed a mates combro and my average was 10.8ftlb which I was pretty happy with.

post-17831-0-56667500-1335031225.jpg

well done mate,it's a good feeling to know you did it yourself.Did you use molly grease? not too much this usually keeps the twang down,it's the stuff you use on car wheel bearings and you can buy it from your local car spares place.You can make a metal cover to sit into the piston tube that the spring sits in i'm away at the moment and internet is patchy so can't search for it's name,google piston sleeve/cover for air rifle.People make them from all sorts try youtube as well.

hth.

andy.

ps that spring has seen better days lol.congrats on your work you will soon get the confidence to do a lot more.

Supersports benefit from a piston weight.rearsteel guides on early models just need a polish.deburing and polishing all cocking slits and rear of piston skirt is beneficial.a well worth mod is to get rid of the bsa transfer seal and use a hw80 seal.Titan xs no 1 springs are good a little patience when deburing cocking slots will bring better action smooth as silk.

A piston sleeve does a number of things inc:-

1) Stops lube migrating away off the spring

2)reduces the amount of lateral movement of the spring within the piston.

3) provides an ultra smooth surface against the spring to reduce friction contact within the piston

4)stops the cocking foot riding up & down the coils of the spring during the cocking cycle.

Last one I made was from stainless shim steel, though some prefer plastic sheet.

The upshot is a sleeve can quieten a gun,reduce recoil, make it smoother to cock & decrease the risk of dieseling by stopping lubricant migration (i.e. actually keeping moly grease on the spring where it belongs)