Cheap N Nasty

danielsonson

SMK B3 - yes it is a cheap gun and yes it is a lottery if you get one which shoots straight, but we have crows that pester the hell out of some elderly horses on my Girl Friends yard and it is not safe to get at them with my prefered 12g or 20g so I resorted to .22 Bisley Pest controls and an air rifle.

I reall did not want to go over board with a snazzy AR as I would hardly get time to use it, instead I bought for the sum total of £40 inc p&p a SMK B3 with a 4x40 scope.

It makes Blacky dropping easy at 30-40 yards.

One question though, without buying another gun altogether are there any little tweaks I can do to give it a little more oomph?

Cheers DB :oops:

One question though, without buying another gun altogether are there any little tweaks I can do to give it a little more oomph?

If you have one that shoots straight then be grateful. Not even God could do anything with those. To even try is to become the airgun equivallent of a "beardy weirdy" who tinkers with Citreon 2cv's in the hope of improving them.

Just enjoy it for what it is.

EDITED TO INCLUDE.

It should be putting out the legal limit anyway so don't even bother touching it if you value your SGC.

If its dropping them at 30-40yards then it sounds like its got all the oomph it needs, its pretty standard range for most air rifles, and as stated its probably on the legal limit anyway.

You could try different pellets but it sounds like you've got a good combination anyway and its not worth tinkering with it if its accurate and you're dropping things at that range anyway.

In that case I am happy, It's good to hear it is working well, I guess I was expecting it to be working badly, As I say I have only limited AR knowledge although I could wax lyrical about patterns of shot all day! :oops:

I have tried using flat top RWS pellets and various others and although they seem to transfer a lot of power to the target they dont seem to be killing as cleanly as the Bisley hollow points.

as for prometheus they just tear wholes in everything and you end up having a 30-40 yard sprint to quickly despatch the guarry.

I must say I am pleased with my gun, I immediately rubbed down the stock and stained it, then extended the butt plate by an inch and it is spot on. Guess I was just lucky! :lol:

Thanks

DB

If its dropping them at 30-40yards then it sounds like its got all the oomph it needs, its pretty standard range for most air rifles, and as stated its probably on the legal limit anyway.

You could try different pellets but it sounds like you've got a good combination anyway and its not worth tinkering with it if its accurate and you're dropping things at that range anyway.